Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Okay, a little more


VBS

Last year, we averaged about 25 kids for VBS, the majority of them not of our congregation.  As the best predictor of the future is the past, we planned for that many children this year as well. 
We were wrong.

Tonight we topped out at 41 children, most of them under six years old and one mom told us she was bringing two more tomorrow night.  We are now scurrying to try to find additional craft kits because we only ordered enough for 30 kids.  Undoubtedly, we will come up with something...but wow.  It's been amazing.

The rest of my life

I have come to the conclusion that in my house, instead of asking for what you want, you should just ask for what you will get, as that way one is not disappointed.  The thing is that I don't want a lot.  I simply asked the menfolk last week to help me out a little this week and pick up after themselves.  What I should have said was "Just leave it lay where you will and I'll get to it." 

Today, I worked with child in tow.  Left work, came home and did the following:

Ran upstairs to gather up laundry.
Got laundry to basement and started a load.
Came upstairs and gathered stuff to clean out my car for the mission trip
Remembered I needed to download VBS pictures from last night while cleaning out car, so I hooked up the camera to the computer and set it to downloading.
Went outside and wiped down interior of my car and windows.  Vacuumed car.
Vacuumed porch
Vacuumed downstairs
Vacuumed upstairs
switched over laundry loads
Decided which pictures from last night to save
Did dishes
Picked up general clutter
Laid out suitcase in spare room and threw travel items into it
Dealt with puke in the pool from neighbor child
Argued with oldest son about commitment
Dealt with neighbor looking for tools
Started dinner for kids
Went to VBS, complete with 41 children
Dealt with not enough craft for tomorrow night issues
Came home
Warmed up youngest son's remaining dinner
Made sandwich for husband
Finally became a bit temperamental and went off ALONE for the first time in 24 hours.

And people wonder why I get testy.  So it's now 10:30 at night and I've just now eaten a little bit of something for dinner as I was not hungry at 5:30.  Often, lack of help doesn't really bother me, but this week has been hard and having a seven year old with me all day long, as much as I love him, gets hard.  There simply is no quiet time...not even ten minutes.  I get cranky.

And now, some more adorableness.




No comments:

Post a Comment