Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Loosening up


I have always been a little bit of a tight ass when it comes to my home being clean.  I like things tidy and more or less in their place.  I have mentioned before that I vacuum daily due to cat hair and children who run in and out of the house.  That is just a tiny glimpse into my insanity...or at least what used to be my insanity. 

Of late, I have become much more lax.  For example, my kitchen floor is in drastic need of being mopped and waxed.  I have that scheduled for roughly the first day of school next month.  There are just some things one woman cannot fight any longer and a clean house during the summer months is one of them.  The kids have a intel pool in the back yard and they often use the back door which enters directly into the kitchen.  Now, the old fanatic cleaning me would simply work up a daily sweat mopping and waxing the kitchen floor daily as the shine was being beaten down by dripping wet children who  cannot seem to remember to use the side door and change clothes in the basement.  I tried that tactic last summer and it didn't go so well.  But this summer, I am forgoing the mopping and waxing until they are safely back in school with much less time to swim.  Though there are moments when I have to grit my teeth or avoid looking at the kitchen floor at all, it is making for a much more relaxed summer for me.  Yes, I still vacuum daily or at least almost daily and when the kids go camping this week I do plan on attacking their room with several trash bags, but at the very least I have taken the edge off my obsessive compulsive behavior for now.

It has been HOT this week and the air conditioning in the church office has gone on the blink again.  This happens at least 2-3 times a summer but the bad thing this time is that the one in charge of it getting fixed has been away and will not be back until tomorrow.  I think I lost those five pounds again the last two days by simply sitting in there and trying to work, but the problem is that when I am really hot, I get sleepy.  Somehow it has still managed to be a productive week.

Tomorrow is my appointment with my PCP to talk about WLS.  I contacted my insurance company yesterday and yes, they do cover the surgery and they gave me the list of requirements.  The only one of real concern is that there needs to be written documentation of weight loss attempts through doctor supervised programs or things like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig.  This bothers me because yes, I did do WW about seven years ago but they have no records past three months and I have no intention of paying out money again for something that didn't work for me the first time.  Yes, I lost weight while I stuck with it, but the leader of the meetings was the most boring woman on the planet and though WW insists that those who stay for meetings do better, I decided it was more comfortable to sleep in my bed as opposed to sleeping in a chair while this leader woman bored me to death.  She was not real motivating to say the least and it's hard to be around people trying to lose twenty pounds while I have so much more to lose.  It just always felt like I couldn't relate to any of them. 

So anyway, I need to discuss that with the doctor tomorrow and I need to try to figure out a surgeon tonight.  The one I was looking at has done 1500 of these surgeries, but the friend who told me about him in her last email stated she would not recommend going to Hopkins Bayview, though she did not tell me why.  I've asked that question and am awaiting a response.  I'll keep you all in the loop for how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment