Tuesday, October 9, 2007

I love fall television



I'm always so happy when the Fall television schedule finally starts up again.  After a long summer of reruns and little to watch, it is so nice to once again be able to engage in a little boob tube time.  So, in the event you are interested, or even if you aren't, here are my pics and opinions on my favorite shows.

Daytime Television:

I don't watch a lot of it, but I do admit to being a bit of a Dr. Phil/Oprah fan if the topic interests me.  There are also times when one or both of them annoy me in some way as well.  Dr. Phil last week had on an up and coming singer and her mother, who the singer girl now hates.  It was obvious the mother and daughter had issues and neither one was guilt free.  What really annoyed me though was the friend of the mother's who chaperoned the daughter on a trip and let the daughter drink, smoke and party.  Dr. Phil never took so much as a swing at her, but boy, I had a lot I wanted to say to her!  Sometimes he just doesn't quite get it right, but more often than not, he is right on the money.

Prime Time:

Tuesdays-"House"

It just doesn't get much more interesting, amusing or snarky for me than watching this show.  The cast is fabulous, Hugh Laurie is brilliant and I love the little snide joke and remarks.  I have had a great affection for Wilson ever since "The Dead Poet's Society" and have greatly enjoyed seeing his work once again.  House's character is so complex that it keeps you guessing from week about what layer may next be unpeeled.  I love it.

Thursdays-CSI Las Vegas

I know that many people prefer Miami or New York, but for me, Crime Scenes don't get any better than the original cast.  I may be one of the few people on the planet who still wants Jorja Fox in the cast, but that is fine by me, and I was happy to see her return this season.  Now, comes the question on what will happen with her and Gil now that the cat is out of the bag about their relationship.  I could stand to see less of Catherine at times and would like to see them develop some of the other characters a bit more.  The show is probably not for the squeamish, but as long as I avoid the bugs in Gil's office, I do just fine.

Sundays-Brothers & Sisters

If you are not watching this show, you should be.  The cast is amazing.  Sally Field doesn't look a day over "Steel Magnolias" and though I have never seen Calista Flockhart in anything, I love her work.  What also surprises me is how damn good Rob Lowe still looks...not that he's old, but "St. Elmo's Fire" wasn't exactly a movie from last year. 

The show is essentially about a family, minus one deceased father, who left behind both a widow and a mistress.  He also had a child by the mistress that the family has recently found out about.  The family is highly dysfunctional in both a warm and amusing way.  If you haven't watched it, check it out, Sunday nights at 10:00!  You won't be sorry you did!

Discovery

I am also a fan of "Big Medicine" and "Little People, Big World" but these shows seem to run on different times and now no new episodes are out until winter (I think).  "Big Medicine" is about weight loss surgery and LPBW is about just that...a married dwarf couple, who have children; three of regular stature and one little person. 

So, to end tonight, I thought I'd share this story as a bit of an inspiration:

Hamden (WTNH)_ The Hartford Marathon is expected to draw thousands of runners this week. One Hamden man is running the marathon of his life. (Rest of the story here)


No comments:

Post a Comment