Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The nutrition class



So Kim gave journalist Angela an eyeful as well, so I thought I'd share what I wrote to her, though it was not as eloquent as Kim's.



Hello,
 
I ran across your article on the web and was completely offended by this comment: "Many frustrated dieters turn to surgery as a faster, easier method of weight loss."
 
I think that perhaps you should do your homework before stating that surgery to rearrange your insides is an "easier" method to lose weight.  I would be interested in being enlightened as to what is easier about battling weight one's entire life and then having to make the difficult decision that you simply cannot lose and maintain weight loss on your own anymore.  How is it easier to finally decide to go under the knife in the hopes of resolving your health problem?  How is it easier to never be able to drink and eat at the same time, to get sick off certain foods, due to content or eating too fast or too much?  How is it easier to experience complications such as strictures, leaks, blood clots or even death? 
 
I have not yet had this surgery but am planning on it and working towards it and trust me, the decision has been anything but "easy".  I think that remark is offensive to anyone who has ever battled a weight problem.  Ask any WLS patient and see if they think it was "easy".  Please think before you write such insensitive, uneducated remarks. 


I apparently tend to get a little sensitive.

Our first bariatric nutrition class was today, and it was relatively interesting.  We went over reading food labels and what to look for, etc.  Then the girl met with each one of us to go over our goals before next month's meeting.  I gave her a couple when in reality, I only have one goal before next month and that is to actually lose a few pounds!  Sadly, I have gained six pounds since we started WW in September!  I know what my issue is; I have the one last hurrah mentality, where I want to eat what I want, while I can, and it has proven difficult to get back on track and stay there.  But I really need to make a go of it as I really don't know what insurance is looking for in this six month structured diet thing.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment