Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hard to Believe...


...I used to blog every single day, huh?  Now I am the Absent Blogger! 



In my defense, I have been really busy.  I have been at the church every day for fourteen days tomorrow, tho that does include my normal work days.  Friday there was a funeral and I was there from 8:30 until about 2:00 as I stayed to help serve and clean up.  Wasn't much effort as I really like the church ladies who come out to handle these kinds of things and have come to the realization that I am now one of them!  Then today, we all met for our Fall Clean up day and got rid of a massive dumpster full of crap!  I was there from just before 9:00 until about 2:30 but left feeling a great sense of accomplishment.



It all kind of floors me when I really think about it.  I am so tangled up in the life of my church; the day to day things, the special occasion things, the youth functions...and it actually escapes me how some people only turn up on Sunday and never give a thought as to how things get done.  Sure, the stuff they see on Sunday, I get paid to do, but all the other stuff I do and all the stuff the music director does other than music and all the stuff the other handful of people do is not compensated with money.  Major things got accomplished today that the majority of people will not notice and it just amazes me.  Not that I want noticed, but let me explain better. 



People walk into a church on Sundays and the heat is on, the lights are on, they have a bulletin in their hand and music is played and sang for the service, but they really don't give it a thought.  The place is clean and tidy.  But if they walk in and lights aren't on and there is no bulletin and all the discarded bulletins from the previous Sunday litter the pews, they would notice that.  Many of the things that happen in your home have to happen at a church and in order for that to happen, you have to have people willing to make sure those things happen.  People hate thinking about the church as needing money weekly...some even say that their belief in God has nothing to do with money and in many ways they are right.  But to have a building in which to worship, bills have to be paid.  No money means no lights or no heat or AC. 



But today was a good day.  A really good turnout of people; better then in the last few years.  Lots of stuff got done and rooms are now usable again as there was un-needed furniture and all sorts of stuff in them.  There is still work to be done, but it will get accomplished.



So what have you done to support your church lately, other than showing up on Sunday?  What little tasks do you do to make a difference?




No comments:

Post a Comment