Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snowstorm 2009


So we have more snow out there now than we have had since about 1995,  In fact, I would venture to say that there is more snow out there now then we have had in the last five years COMBINED.  It started last night around 10:30 and we think it just now quit and we are somewhere in the range of 3-4 feet.  BIG SNOW.  And ya'll know I hate the stuff.  Well, okay, maybe not hate completely.  It's actually kind of pretty..as long as I can stay inside, where it is warm and cozy and look at it through the window.  But snow doesn't really cooperate because I can't shovel the crap from in here and there is that work situation where I have to go, so until snow decides to meet my list of demands (inside, warm, cozy) we are barely on speaking terms.

But the snow did bring certain blessings.  I have been behind on Christmas and losing my mind over it.  Today was supposed to be our cantata rehearsal and tomorrow was supposed to be our Sunday school program, a combined service with the cantata and a potluck to follow.  But this morning, the rehearsal was called off and later today, church was called off for tomorrow.  So I have spent the day baking and wrapping with some cleaning thrown in for good measure.  Tomorrow, I plan to do more of the same so that by Monday, I should be right on schedule.  Brilliant.

Late this afternoon, I came to the realization that the tree had not been watered (I am begging for an artificial tree next year and by the end of this story, you will understand why).  We have one of those tree watering thing-a-ma-bobs that sticks out of the tree stand and allows you to water through this funnel thing, but I could not figure out where in the tree JJ had stuck the thing (it's a very full tree).  I finally found it and stuck my hand through the branches to move it to a more convenient location for someone who is not ten years old and the whole tree FELL OVER.  I tried to catch up, but the sucker is heavy, so down it went.  The Brit was outside attempting to find his car under the snowdrifts and I walked out onto the porch to tell him that the tree had gone ass over tit.  He came in to help me right it and then went back out as he rarely sees big snow and was determined he was going to go for a ride in it, which in no way interested me (inside, warm, cozy).  So I spent the next half hour putting ornaments back on the tree and vacuuming up pine needles, and then I realized the tree still had not been watered, which was how this whole saga began.  So I moved the watering thing-a-ma-bob to a new location and went to the kitchen to fill a pitcher.  I then started pouring the water into the funnel and was amazed at how quickly the tree was sucking down that water no matter how fast I poured it.

Then my feet got wet.  Right, did not have the watering thing-a-ma-bob actually inside of the tree stand, so floor, carpet, etc, soaked with one whole pitcher of water.  So, I cleaned that up, made sure the watering thing was stuck in the right place and started to pour a new pitcher of water into the funnel just as fast as before which caused it to overflow...briefly, thankfully as I quickly discovered the error of my ways. 

So the tree is now watered...as well as the floor and carpet.  They probably needed cleaned anyhow.



No comments:

Post a Comment