Friday, August 21, 2009

Who's That Girl?


Probably everyone who has ever lost a significant amount of weight has a moment like I did this morning; one of those moments where the brain has just not yet caught up with the rest of me. 

Due to a water problem at the house and The Brit waiting for the plummer, I elected to take advantage of my inability to shower at home.  So, I went to the Y and finally tried a Spin class, knowing I could shower there after class.  Well, lemme tell ya, that was a workout!  Part of the workout is sitting on the bike and pedaling and that is alternated with standing up and pedaling, all the while fluctuating the tension between one and ten.  The bikes are up against the windows and right across from us on the opposite wall are large mirrors. 

At one point, I saw someone dressed like me.  A t-shirt that was literally soaked from chest to back, who was standing up on this bike, pedaling at a level 10 and keeping up with the class.  It took a moment of staring to realize this girl, the one who was dripping wet and totally loving her Spin class, was me.  There was just that moment of not recognizing the physical person I have become, and I don't just mean how I look physically.  I also mean, me being PHYSICAL.  There are just still moments of "Who is this person?"  and I would have thought they would have worn off by now, but I suppose when you spend your entire life 100 plus pounds overweight, why on earth would I think a new understanding could take place as soon as a 16 months later?

My other amusing moment today was my ability to shower at the YMCA without a second thought about walking around the locker room wrapped in a towel in front of other people.  16 months ago, I would have been far too self conscious to do that. 

You know what?  I hope the novelty of these kinds of things never wears off for me.  I never want to be blas�bout how far I've come, even though I am not yet at the finish line.

Happy weekend, gang!  Stay safe, live your dreams and treasure every moment!



1 comment:

  1. Go you!! I love spinning classes! The standing up is difficult, but so is sitting on those hard seats for an hour! :)

    ReplyDelete