Saturday, March 12, 2011

5K Numero Tres

So I did a St. Patrick's Day 5K today with Leisl that I was not prepared for in any way!  

Leisl met me at the house at 8:00 and we headed to the park across town.   I had been concerned I might have dressed too warmly as the sun was actually out, but that was not the case! We arrived and I walked down to get my packet and shirt and number and we were freezing!  People were actually walking around in shorts and I don't know how they did it.  We walked back up to the car and were going to continue down to the starting line when we realized it was only 8:20 and the race did not start till 9:00.  We elected for car and heat for twenty minutes where we made fun of real runners (not in a mean way, but the folks that run before the race to warm up amaze me... .we were warming up in the car!) until we walked to the starting line.  There were only about 200 people out for this one and next to us at the start was an older lady who was lots of fun and thankfully Leisl and I had no thoughts about out running her as we would have been sorely disappointed!  Older lady kicked butt!

Leisl and I were not together long as she is skinnier and faster, but I ran as much as I could giving zero training the last few weeks and I walked any and all big hills.  By mile 2, I knew I would not beat my last time but I only blew it by about a minute so I can live with that.  I forgot about being cold and got really hot and sweaty but I finished with a new resolve to go back to running more often!

Otherwise I am just in it for the tee shirts!
 

2 comments:

  1. Seems to me like an awful lot of trouble to go to for just a lousy t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Jim, not Mike. Cannot get on the running bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete