Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Censorship and feel free to laugh


One of the things that has to be accepted in being an on-line journaler, is that many of my friends and family visit this blog.  I knew that would happen going in, so I had to come to the decision that I would not be censoring my blog.  There is really little point to a journal if you can't write about things that have made an impact on your day or your life, for fear of offending someone. 

If ya'll remember this, you'll recall that I got my feelings hurt a few times that weekend, but took it all in stride.  Oddly enough (or not) on Thanksgiving, my mother hugged me and told me that she had finally realized she had said something to hurt my feelings and she was sorry.  I immediately asked her who had told her and she said no one, but then a few weeks later, she made mention of one of my sisters reading my blog.  I told her that I didn't have any problem with that and then mom replied, "Well, just don't write anything about me in there." 

Well, I can't do that.  I'm not a mean-spirited person by any means, and I do try to be honest in writing.  After all, the person I am being most honest with is myself as this blog is about life as I see it.    These are my experiences and my thoughts and though someone else could very well see something differently than I did, that is what the comments are for.  Basically, I just want to reiterate that censorship on my blog is not an option for me.  I don't think anyone would find a post where I blew off steam and was completely unreasonable.  I try to approach writing with a clear mind and a thought process of what it is I want to say, and I generally cannot do that fairly when seething with some kind of emotion. 

Okay, with that being said, I assume everyone remembers this:



The adorable knitted kitty that I was making for Paula for Christmas.  I am happy to report that he was completed.  I am sadly admitting that he looks nothing like that picture:



Uh, yeah.  The Brit appropriately named this critter "RoadKill".  Shelley, who loves a blog mention, helped me put this puss together and the stress and tension in the room was palpable.  She kept insisting he didn't look like a cat and I kept insisting that once he had ears, or a nose, or a face, all would be well.  Those things would just somehow magically transform a knitted kitty into something to be proud of.  Needless to say, my theory was blown. 

There are several problems that I know of with RoadKill. 
1. Wrong yarn.  Though the yarn shop I drove to stated on their website that they had the yarn the pattern called for, once I got there, they did not.  So, the sales lady and I found something we thought would substitute, but no amount of brushing this cat would make it fluffy with the yarn we  chose.
2. Wrong eyes.  All the craft stores only sold "Animal eyes" as opposed to "cat eyes". 
3. User problems.  There are definitely knitted mistakes in this little fellow, with color, etc.

I'm thinking I'm going to give myself ten years and then knit it again.  I'll get the right yarn and right eyes from the internet and we'll have another go.  Though Shelley informed me, "You can never knit this again...or if you do, do not bring it here."  Okay, so I'll be flying solo, but it will be ten years from now and perhaps I will be more accomplished.

Okay, off to Curves!



No comments:

Post a Comment