Saturday, September 29, 2007

Fat Acceptance Blogs



I honestly never really knew that Fat Acceptance (FA) blogs existed until recently.  Now,while I find the "embrace yourself at any size" mentality a nice thought, for many people, it is simply not a reality.

I have striven for years to accept this body.  Myself, I can accept; the person inside.  The way I look at things, approach most situations, my relatively open mind, those things I accept and even like for the most part.  But the vehicle that I have to function in is hindering to say the least. 

Then what happens when this body you are accepting starts to go wrong simply because of what it is?  Weight attributes to many things; cancers, heart problems, diabetes, sleep apnea, joint and back pain.  Do FA people just accept those things too with pride because of they believe in acceptance at any size?

Do not get me wrong.  I believe that all people should accept other people.  I do not think that people should be ridiculed for their weight, color or hairstyle.  But there is a limit to what people will accept for themselves and there should be.  People who have gained weight up to 700 or 800 pounds, who are bedridden should just accept themselves and not do anything and everything to change? 

If all FA people were just about accepting people that would be fine.  I'm all for it.  But what I have seen in doing some blog searching is that some of these FA folks will actually go to the blogs of other people who are pursuing WLS and comment on how they need to accept themselves and how they are endangering their lives, yada, yada, yada.  I take offense to that.  That is one person placing their extreme views on another person that they believe is going to the extreme.  What makes them right and the person pursuing WLS wrong? I think it's wonderful that FA people can accept themselves at any size but that isn't true of all people battling their weight.  It's like they are super heroes out to save the world against the evils of WLS.  But I have to wonder if an angel, a fairy, a gnome, Jiminy Cricket, Santa Claus, whoever, stood in front of one of these FA folks and said "I can make you a healthy weight.", would they really say "No, I like things just the way they are, thanks."

Could I die because of WLS?  Sure.  Could I die as a result of weight?  Absolutely.  If I have to "pick a poison" then I pick the one that is not a definite path to destruction or poor quality of life; surgery.  Also being a Christian, I have a belief that when it is my time to leave this earth, I'm going home to God and I am fine with that. 

Either way, surgery or death, this vehicle is not coming along for the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment