Saturday, September 8, 2007

Nanowrimo



So with less than two months to Nanowrimo, I've been making plans.  I know my novel will be in the Christian Fiction genre and my lead characters are slowly evolving.  One of the things that most intrigues me about Nanowrimo is that it is a fly by the seat of your pants approach to writing, which I have always preferred actually.  I've always liked having a rough plot and then allowing the story to lead, which in my past experience, that is precisely what happened. 

I also want my story to be a little bit edgier than most Christian fiction, which basically means that often I can tell with many CCF novels, what is going to happen before it ever happens and that certain situations are either not normally dealt with or are lightly touched upon.  I want something more than that.  I want it to deal with more touchy subject matter, while still keeping things clean with a focus on Christ. 

I waffled last year about doing Nanowrimo and instead opted for Nablopomo, but after successfully blogging everyday last year in the month of November, it is time for the true challenge of my heart; a novel.  Only fear has kept me from writing something for publication before, despite the fact that I have written some decent things in my life and have had teachers tell me I would one day be a writer.  But a combination of fear of rejection and just the magnitude of what it takes to write a book has kept me from trying. 

I read  a lot of Christian Fiction and some of it is wonderful and some of it, I only find mediocre.  I recently read a few books by a very successful CCF author who bases stories on the Amish and where I found the history and the Amish way of life portrayal fascinating, the actual plot left me cold and at times really wrestling with understanding the main character and her motives.  I read many CCF books and know that I can tell a story at least that well.

So, for November (I know it is still two months away) I don't know how much blogging I'll be doing, what with needing to write 50,000 words in thirty days and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment