Thursday, September 6, 2007

Wonderful



Isn't it interesting how we can get a reminder the day before we actually need it?

Tonight at dinner, the Brit and I had to pry out of Aaron the reason he suddenly wanted to ride his bike to school (which we immediately decided against, but we knew he had to have a reason other than "Because I want to.").  There is apparently this kid, who has caused numerous bus issues even last year resulting in suspension from the bus off and on, who has been picking on him...both from a personal level and by saying things about us, his parents.  As my stomach twisted into knots at the dinner table, already certain of what was to come, the Brit started talking to Aaron assuming that the kid had said we weren't Aaron's real parents.  No, I knew that wasn't it.

The truth finally came out that the kid had made comments about our weight, which is a little bit interesting as we have never set eyes on this child before and the kid doesn't even use the same bus stop as Aaron. 

It made me angry though and not because the comments were partially about me, but because I dislike bullies so much.  My opinion is that most bullies are simply kids who are bullied themselves either at home or at school and in turn have to bully someone else to feel like a big shot.  I hate it.

So we had the talk about ignoring a bully 100% of the time and if the kid made any threats or did anything physical, then Aaron was to tell the nearest adult and I also emailed the school because the bully was also throwing things at him in one of his classes.  Sorry, that way doesn't work for me.

A week ago, knowing some smart alec kid was making comments about my weight would probably have bothered me if for no other reason because it would drudge up my own not so fond memories of being teased in school by occasional bullies.  But see, yesterday in our staff meeting, one of the things that came up was Psalm 139 where it says "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made."  Wonderfully made.  I am wonderfully made because God created me.  He knit me together in my mother's womb and even the hairs on my head are numbered.  I'm not a mistake.  God loves me, just as I am because I was made in his image.   How incredible is that?

Oh sure, I need to lose weight for health reasons; I'm not denying that.  But ya know, what God loves me for who I am, what do I care what some mean spirited 7th grader thinks?  I only pray that one day this kid will understand the love and acceptance of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment