Sunday, April 15, 2007

And so it begins again


Why does searching for a vacation rental have to be so scary?  I have my budget and we are looking at Cape Cod, but there are so many little towns to chose from!  I've been at it for about two hours now and though I have sent out two inquiry emails, I still have oodles of them to look through.

I haven't been to the cape since I lived with my last roomie and I miss it.  We always stayed in Provincetown at the P-Town Inn (which is out of our price range nowadays).  I just loved all the little shops, the wonderful seafood, finding all the little creatures when the tide went out and most especially, the whale watching boats.  I'm really hoping that not much of it has changed and I look forward to exploring other parts of the cape.

Today, we cleaned the basement, so I will soon be getting aquainted with my new friend the bowflex.  I did bring up the book to look at the workouts and how it all works, but as it was Sunday, I couldn't be bothered to deal with healthy today other than the eating part of it.  I can't believe tomorrow is Monday already, but I guess I shouldn't complain too much as the weekend was very pleasant!

Friday night we were supposed to go and see Shell, but something came up with her at the last minute, when we were about two blocks from her house.  The kids were away for the night, so we were left in Smithsburg, wondering what to do, so we decided to go to the chinese restuarant.  Upon walking in, we spotted Paula, John, Dane and his girlfriend, so we shared dinner with them and then were invited back to their place for the evening.  It was all very pleasant and comfortable as we all get along so well, her boys included.  It's one of those places like Lisa's house...you just feel like you're home when you walk in the door.  You laugh and talk and drink coffee and try to solve the problems in our worlds.  Great fun.

Saturday morning was our monthly Fiber Fanatics meeting and it was Kelly's birthday and I am a loser and didn't take my camera.  But, it was fun, I knitted a-plenty on a prayer shawl, Kelly's mom made her a birthday cake as well as a cake for Robyn in celebration of her good test results last month, that said "Happy Everyday, Robyn".  That evening, because the kids weren't coming home till later, the Brit and I went to dinner at Barefoot Bernie's (yummy crab) and ran into Lisa, Phil and Deanna (Lisa and Deanna I had just spent part of the day with knitting!). So, we shared a table and a meal and had more fun.

After dinner, we went to Wonder Book and Video, which is a huge used bookstore where you can find almost anything you could possibly want other than new releases (and they even have some of those).  I had just watched "Flicka" last week (and Andie, if you ever read this, dang that girl in the movie reminded me of you!), which led me on a quest at Wonderbook to find some of my childhood favorites such as several books from "The Black Stallion" series, as well as "Anne of Green Gables".  I am still missing several of the Stallion books, but plan to look again and yes, I do intend to reread them.  I also have a bid on eBay for a vintage copy of "My Friend, Flicka" which will end in a couple of days. 

When wandering about the bookstore, I remember just how much I love books.  It's sad really, because now, in the age of computers, I don't read books nearly as often as I used to (of course, I am also balancing a home, a workout schedule, two children, a job and a knitting hobby as well) but when I do find the time to sit down and submerge myself in a book, it always feels like coming home.  I've never been much of a reader of adult classics, though I have read and dearly love many of the children's classics.  With kids, I don't like to read anything too indepth because it can easily be a week or longer before I am able to pick the book back up again, and I don't want to have to spend precious reading time trying to remember everything that had happened in my last sitting.  I am currently reading The Friday Night Knitting Club and enjoying it immensely.  Apparently it is soon going to become a movie as well.  As I'm almost finished that, I have the new Nicholas Sparks on loan from the library and once I finish that, I plan to start rereading The Black Stallion series.  That's the plan...and I still have a prayer shawl to finish by June.

And speaking of knitting, Maryland Sheep and Wool is right around the corner!  We're going on Sunday this year (sorry Paula...no singing for me on May 6th!) as Lisa wants to see from Sheep to Shawl.  My understanding is that basically, participants have to shave their sheep, go through the whole process of turning that into yarn and then knitting a shawl with it.  It sounds interesting, though I am most excited about the shopping!



No comments:

Post a Comment