Monday, April 30, 2007

We're sleeping with ducks today


Okay, so no bread sleeping today.  Actually not much today at all except needing a tiny bit of advice.   I know that many of my readers are animal people, so what better place to ask if there is anything I can do in an animal situation.

We live very close to the park and the park has a huge lake that is frequented by ducks, geese and swans.  It is currently nesting season and because we are so close to the park, we have had ducks nest in our backyard under the trampoline or in the bushes.  The kids are just instructed to leave them alone and all goes well. 

I have noticed the last two days that at the bottom of our street, a female duck appears to be nesting in someone's front yard.  The problem is that the yard she has chosen is at the corner of my street and a very busy street.  I've been a nervous wreck, for fear she or her mate will wander out onto said street and well....you know what could happen.  Though one would think people would slow down for ducks, there was proof a few weeks ago on that busy street that they don't and I have every reason to believe they intentionally either did not slow down or were not paying attention.  Not like ducks dart out in front of you or anything.

So, I'm not sure if I should leave the female duck to do her thing and hope for the best or if I should call someone.  I'm not sure our SPCA would do anything.  (I really wish we had a Humane Society like Texas, Miami or Detroit...you know, the ones they show on Animal Planet). 

So, any suggestions, fellow animal lovers?

Oh and only five more days until Maryland Sheep and Wool!



No comments:

Post a Comment