Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Trying to make green from black


So I have this little idea about getting into a little bit of gardening.  Those of you who know me well, know that this is a scary thought (Brit, you hush) as I tend to kill things.  I always have the very best of intentions, every single spring, when I head to the outdoor nurseries to purchase new flowers to put in pots on my front porch.  For a few weeks, all is well.  I am excited and happily watering and flowers are growing and all is good in the plant world.  Then something happens, like life, or vacation, or just general laziness and people forget to water the flowers....people being me.  From that point on it is all downhill.

However, with losing weight and working out, I have this new found energy that makes me feel optimistic enough to try again.  We have already purchased some herbs which have been happily growing in my knitting room (which I never knit in btw.  It used to be my dining room, but we don't dine in it.  We actually added a sofa and chair to the room and all my yarn is stashed in storage drawers and baskets in there.  I'm simply not sure of what else to call the room, so I'm open to suggestions) until the weather decides to kick its crack habit and reinvent itself into spring.  I had also planned to grow some tomatoes from seeds, but after a little chat with Andie last night, who is the only real gardener I know, I have scratched that idea in favor of a tomato plant, because if I were going to grow them from seeds, I should have started that weeks ago.  So now I just have to wait for the nursery to get in the plants.  Andie also talked me into growing lettuce as well, as I can also grow that in a long pot and she even suggested planting some marigolds in between the lettuce plants (uh huh, I'm gonna get all fancy on ya'll). 

As the basement did get cleaned up last weekend, I'm hoping to get down there this weekend to paint some old wooden television stands to place my gardening attempts on, to keep out stray cats and our resident skunk.  Then with hopefully some help from the menfolk, we can get the back porch cleaned up and presentable, so that there is actually room out there to grow some stuff and that just leaves me with six flower pots to chose for the front porch.  Wish me luck.  The running joke around here from the Brit each spring is "So what, my darling, are you going to buy to kill this year?"  I'm determined to change his opinion.

Some of you were stating that you didn't understand what Sleeping with Bread is all about.  If you click on the SWB link on the left of my page, it will take you to a full explanation, but I borrowed a little excerpt from Mary-Lue, who came up with this Monday meme:

During the bombing raids of WWII, thousands of children were orphaned and left to starve. The fortunate ones were rescued and placed in refugee camps where they received food and good care. But many of these children who had lost so much could not sleep at night. They feared waking up to find themselves once again homeless and without food. Nothing seemed to reassure them. Finally, someone hit upon the idea of giving each child a piece of bread to hold at bedtime. Holding their bread, these children could finally sleep in peace. All through the night the bread reminded them, "Today I ate and I will eat again tomorrow." (Linn, Dennis et al, Sleeping With Bread, p.l)

It is quite simple. You simply ask yourself, in the last day/week/month what gave me consolation and what caused me desolation.

I think of it as having to do with hope, with things I am most grateful for, and for things I am struggling with.  Everyone's interpretation of it may be a little different, but that's mine.  I hope this helps to clear it up!

And thank you for the comments!  I was getting quite lonely!



No comments:

Post a Comment