Tuesday, August 17, 2010

California: Nearing the End


The run along the beach was magnificent and just what the doctor ordered.� The sky was overcast, the air cool and clean and there was an exercise community present at the early hour.� I passed runners, bikers, walkers, dog walkers and roller bladers, off every age, shape and size.� I was especially delighted to pass a runner who was slightly larger than me.� We do exist!� Runners who don't look like a typical runner!� Excellent!



The four of us headed downtown and found a great little place for breakfast called The Sugar Shack .� Very busy for a weekday, but the food was great.� I ordered a half of an english muffin with scrambled egg, tomato, avocado and�hollandaise sauce that was divine.� Everywhere in California they have avocado and I love the things!



We wandered around the town after breakfast and found a coupon for a whale watch in Newport Beach, which was just minutes down the road, for $15 a person, which was fabulous!� We booked our reservations and headed down the road.� Now, I have done several whale watches in my day, but this one had to be one of the very best.







We were surrounded by 100 plus of these beauties as they played in the waves alongside and behind our boat.







Then there were tons of these photo ops.� They give me goosebumps.









And our outing would not have been complete without California Sea Lions.



We ate lunch in a little place overlooking the harbor after our three hour tour (which ended well unlike the original) and then headed back to the house for one last dinner with family before we headed back to Vista to Doug's place.� We wanted to spend some more time with them as they were leaving to return to Vegas on Thursday night to be there for Jim's memorial service on Saturday afternoon.� As we were flying out Saturday morning, we would not be able to attend.



Wednesday, I rode with Margaret to take Chloe and Ed back to Ed's parents.� My nephew, Keith (Doug's middle son and Margaret's step-son) had been laid off from work that day.�� Good news seemed to follow us everywhere.� After dropping off the kids, we took our time coming home.� The Brit had taken JJ, both big and small one, and Aaron golfing for the afternoon, so Margaret and I popped in some shops so I could get some things to take home to people.� I needed a really good gift�for Robyn for dealing with the Jasmine issue and we finally found one.� We headed back and went to Doug's favorite pizza place for dinner and then home for wine and bed.



Thursday, we had a lovely mountain drive to Julian for pie...which I did not really like.� The pie.� Julian was delightful.� As for the pie, I opted for sugar free and it wasn't good.� Margaret told me it wasn't but as I have eaten sugar free here at home many times, I figured it would be fine as I like sugar free pie.� But it was really bad sugar free pie.� I have had much better at the Amish Market or at Railroad Junction here in town.� But the weather was great, the company was fabulous and that evening the Vista family packed up and left us for Vegas.� They left us in charge of the house and dogs.






No comments:

Post a Comment