Monday, August 30, 2010

WOF and SB Day One


Sorry I was out of commission for a few days but our hotel wanted to charge 9.95 a day for internet, despite the fact that all other hotels in which I have stayed give you wireless.� But Women of Faith was fantastic.� Just a few highlights:



1.�Patsy Clairmont� and�Marilyn Meberg� are by far my favorites.� They are amazing speakers, making you both laugh and cry.�



2. Mandisa , American Idol cast off a few years ago is incredible.� The joy and honesty that pour from her are breathtaking.� She was with us last year in DC as well and spoke of how she had lost something in the vicinity of 60 pounds.� This year she confessed that she had been struggling with her weight once more and had gained back.� She spoke of how she labeled herself on Idol as "Fat Girl" and then last year as "Fat Girl in Remission" and now "Failure".� She spoke of trying to see herself as God sees her and wow, shouldn't we all do that?



3.�Andy Andrews.�� Look him up.� Wow, just wow.� I told Shell I would like to take him home in my pocket but he would not stay there and Shell remarked how it would be like trying to stuff a squirrel into my pocket.� Really high energy.� But I have his books on reserve at the library, my first one being "The Noticer" as he talked a little about the different kinds of people out there, comparing them to certain animals; very intriguing.� His most moving message: Never think that not every single thing we do matters to someone at some point in time.� He gave several historical examples of this that took my breath away.



4.�Steven Curtis Chapman� and his wife, Mary Beth. Many of you probably know that two years ago, the Chapman's teenage son was backing into their driveway when Maria, their five year old adopted daughter from China, got behind the car where he could not see her.� It was a tragic accident that took Maria's life.� Steven has written a few songs about Maria that have deeply touched me and this time it hit me that he would probably give anything in the world to have his little girl back with him and there are days I feel I cannot put enough distance between myself, The Genius and The Lawyer.� So, I am really trying...I am a work in progress and thankfully, God is patient with me.



5. Though I am not a big fan, Sandy Patti confessed to getting a lapband and has now lost 70 pounds.� When her doctor suggested it, Sandi told her she felt as if doing that would be cheating God.� The doctor told her that if she was diabetic, would it be cheating God to treat it?� Or if she had a heart problem, would treating it be cheating?� However what would be wrong would be how cheated her family would be if something happened to her.� I liked her a tiny bit at that moment.



I love the conference.� I love the music, the speakers, spending time with Shell, finding fun places to have dinner, all of it.� I am already booked for next year.



I started South Beach today and so far so good.� I got my run in first thing this morning and since then have eaten: two scrambled eggs with lowfat cheese and a piece of turkey bacon (I do so miss my oatmeal tho), a South Beach snack bar, a salad with lettuce, cukes, light cheese and avocado, two light string cheese thingies , and some chicken and parsnips for dinner.� I also fixed potatoes and stuffing but did not partake of either.�



This week it will only be The Genius and myself as The Brit leaves for Memphis tomorrow and The Lawyer leaves for outdoor school.� Both will be back on Friday and The Genius will have cross country after school every day till 6:00.� I am planning on getting some stuff done around here uninterrupted.



I love them but sometimes less is good so I can get stuff acccomplished.�




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good South Beach Day darlin! Keep it up! Remember...Make It Work For you! Oh, Tod has your book. I figured he would probably see you before I did. Hope you hit some good places in DC for dinner. I forgot to tell you about my favorite place down there Kramer Books & The Afterwords Cafe. Sorry...remember it for next year.

    ReplyDelete