Friday, August 13, 2010

California Phase 3


Sorry about the lack of blogging yesterday but the church yard sale took over my life until evening and by then I was too tired to think.



So we departed Nevada on Saturday morning for Huntington Beach, the home of Beach Sister and husband.� I was feeling anxious as I was supposed to have a 6:00 dinner date with Renee and Gina, who I had not seen in 30 years, so not only was I worried about not getting there on time, I was nervous about how awkward it would be to see two friends I had not seen since childhood.�



But we arrived at Beach Sister's by 4:00, giving us time to talk with her and her hubby and for me to change clothes and freshen up for dinner.� The Brit, the kids and the Beach Couple were going to go to dinner right across the street from Dukes , where I was meeting the girls.



When I arrived, Renee was standing out in front of the restaurant and though I knew what she looked like now thanks to Facebook, I still would have recognized her.� She greeted me with a huge hug and much excitement on both our parts as we chatted and caught up...if you can indeed catch up on 30 years, while we waited for Gina.� Renee had driven two hours for this dinner, and Gina about an hour.� Gina had caught some traffic but soon arrived and more hugs were exchanged before we went in to get our table, which was supposed to overlook the ocean but the World Series of Surfing had erected a building in the way though we could still see the ocean through a little gap.



Dinner was amazing, both the food, the wine and the company and they insisted upon paying the bill.� Years seemed to slip away as we talked and laughed and for me, this dinner was the highlight of my trip.� After dinner, the girls came back to the beach house for a firepit with the rest of my family, where we continued to laugh and talk.� This was true friendship; the kind of friendship where years and 3000 miles just don't matter.� It was easy, no one was afraid of offending anyone, it felt natural.� Gina was still every bit as funny and Renee still the compassionate one.� These girls were still very much my friends and it was not the kind of friendship time and miles could erase.�When they left, after Renee called across the street that she loved me, I teared up, hating for them to go.�� One night just hadn't been enough to be in their company.







(Left to right, Renee, Gina and myself)



I went to bed that night happy and so thrilled to have had this experience and already counting the days until we could have another reunion.



The next morning, we got the call that Jim had passed away.� The good news was that Connie had not had to make a decision as it has happened all its own, in God's perfect timing.




No comments:

Post a Comment