Tuesday, October 5, 2010

There is still hope!


So if you have been reading here for awhile, you may remember me mentioning my friend, Celia, who had her RNY a good ten years before I did.� I had not talked to her in awhile and then out of the blue, she contacted me this week to ask how I was doing and I told her the following:



I am doing pretty well. Stopped losing about a year ago and am not yet where I want to be. Still working out 4-5 days a week but I do struggle with those evil, evil carbs! So I have been maintaining my still newish size 18. But not ready to give up yet. I am meeting with a trainer this week at the YMCA to see what I need to change up to hopefully kickstart my body again. I know I need to get off some of my food choices and it is so weird! My weaknesses are no longer chocolate or cake etc, but chewy sugary crap, like twizzler and orange slices! Strange! But I will kick them; I am determined!



Celia responded with this:



Your losing plateau sounds just like mine! The orange slices sugar covered yummy was my challenge for a while as well. If you remember I told you I was a size 18 for 5 or 6 years then i decided I wanted to be in the under 200 club. So I kicked the carb diet back in gear & lost another 60 some lbs and now weigh 165lbs TA DA!!!!�Recipe is as always work out more then you take in. �SOUNDS EASY... But of course it is not!



So I have hope!� I have wondered a few times if maybe my body was just refusing to go any lower...probably because that was the easy explanation as opposed to the "I need to re-evaluate my food choices and exercise routine" explanation.



I got home yesterday after the gym and the grocery store and then spent the next few hours in the kitchen.� I worked on last night's dinner, as well as a pot of soup from Sunday's chicken leftovers, a crock pot of turkey chili for tonight, and made a few batches of baked cheese crisps.� Jimnotmike introduced me to these a while ago as a low carb snack, and I elected to make a few of my own.� I did parmesan cheese with garlic and then a small experimental batch of cheddar with cinnamon (they are actually pretty good) and a batch of cheddar with onion flavoring.� If anyone is interested in these, you can find the recipe here .� They are super easy to make.� Essentially, a baking tray, an oven, shredded cheese and whatever spices you have and want to use.� I think next I will try something with some hotness to it.



So I am not officially South Beaching....or maybe I am.� I can't do eggs for breakfast every morning.� I get bored with them and for years we have heard about eggs and cholesterol and that thought won't leave my mind.� My other issue is that my energy gets really zapped on Phase One South Beach, so I am not going to start over.� It's almost like substituting no carbs for no exercise and as I am an avid exerciser, it just didn't work well for me in Phase One.� Energy-wise, it was a really hard two weeks.� In fact my two runs on Phase One were so terrible, I have not run since and I need to remedy that soon.� Don't get me wrong; the coming off all the carbs helped me get things back to being manageable, but the exerciser in me was struggling and the runner in me started dying a slow and painful death.



So tomorrow I meet with my trainer.� I'll let you know how it goes!








1 comment:

  1. Ok, you talked about carbs, so you know I have to comment. Maybe it's me, and obviously it is...but the low carb thing is the easiest thing on the planet! Regardless of whether you do the first 2 weeks of it or not...that's just a kick start and totally unneeded. It's as simple as changing your mind. I know...I say that a lot. But it's less bread, less sugar, less pasta, less potatoes. Heck it isn't even less pasta and potatoes if what you keep in mind is that it isn't really about what you eat, BUT how fast what you eats takes to digest. Ok, so thought 1 - Fats are not metabolized as fat in the body. Fat pretty much glides through you system and out your poop hole. This is why the South Beach and Atkins plans are so effective. This is mainly because your body doesn't digest fats very easily. Your body takes the carbs you eat and first uses them for energy and THEN stores them as fat to use later while all that fat just passes right on by because it's complicated. So here is how I think about it. That sandwich I'm going to eat? I'm going to have it open-face, or one of those great new "Bread Rounds" AND I'm going to put Mayo on it (Full power Real Mayo---Fat) because that is going to slow down the digestion. AND THEN, I'm going to put some lettuce or spinach on it for roughage, cause your stomach can chew on that for hours. That pasta I'm going to eat..it's going to be whole wheat(much harder to digest) and it's probably going have an Alfredo sauce or if tomato it's going to be smothered in parmesan cheese, also harder to digest. That chocolate sauce that I am going to drizzle on my ice cream is going to be sugar free and the ice cream is going to have no sugar added. And I might even put a big ol dab of REAL peanut butter on that ice cream. Everything I can possibly do to make that food harder to digest. Because all the energy my body expends digesting that food is burning calories. I haven't exercised in months...not since the beach trip, cause well, ya gotta be hot for the beach! And even without a bit of exercise I am still UNDER 200 lbs, the same weight I was when I went to the beach. Low Carb is not rocket science and it isn't eggs everyday for breakfast...it's as simple as changing your mind. Choose, choose wisely and you will be rewarded. Heck, that's more than a comment, sorry. Maybe you should save it for a Friday post :-)

    ReplyDelete