Tuesday, May 8, 2007

It's What You Make of it


Did you ever have a discovery day?  One of those days when things you have heard your entire life suddenly makes sense.  I had one of those days today.

Today started out with a curve ball I was not expecting and though it would have been so such simpler to respond to vindictiveness with more of the same, I elected not to do that in the long run.  The fact of the matter is that I cannot change people; I can only change how I react to them. 

I had a whole 'nother post here only moments ago, but God changed my mind.  Frustration was running deep and I elected to go for the mile walk around the park to try to burn some of it off.  So, I grabbed my ipod and headed out the door.  That was all it took.

Once I stepped outside, God was everywhere; in the clear blue sky and the breeze that flitted through the trees.  He was in the sparkle on the lake and in the little ducks who were either swimming across the lake or nesting near the bushes.  He was in the trees that are finally growing full and green.  My heart was suddenly so much lighter and my spirit happier.  Tunes wafted through my ipod such as "My Savior, My God", "Oceans", "Great is Thy Faithfulness", "Morning Star", and even "So You Had a Bad Day."  It was interesting that God found it fit to throw that song into the shuffle mix. 

God is working on my heart all the time; teaching me patience and enlightening me to such things as the fact that I can't change anyone.  He can, but I am powerless to do it.  I can't help how anyone reacts to anything, only how I react to them.  But I'm not taking the bait.  With God at my side, I can rise above anything and for that I am eternally thankful.

As I came down the hill nearer to home, I found my thoughts praising Him for a remarkably beautiful day, for a body that is on its way to health, for a heart that is able to forgive, and that is open enough to hear that still small voice. 

It's all good.



No comments:

Post a Comment