Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ya Can't Fix Stupid


Sometimes when I'm bored or feeling behind in current events (and generally I don't really care; news is depressing and rarely does any of the good stuff make the paper) I read our local paper...and I should know this is just not a good idea.  I am reminded when I do this of how ridiculous our society has become, how apathetic, how without common sense.  It amazes me.  Maybe I am just getting old.

I read two stories so far today and both had me shaking my head.

The first was about a disabled woman who lived in a Housing Authority Building and she locked herself out of her 7th story apartment and was trying to climb from a common area balcony to her own balcony I suppose to let herself back into her apartment.  She wound up falling to her death.  The first issue I have is this:

Officer Pat Moulton responded to the area of Walnut Towers for an unrelated call when she saw the woman outside in bedroom slippers, Kifer said. Moulton spoke with the woman and returned about 30 minutes later to check on her.


When Moulton returned, she saw the woman hit the ground as she fell, Kifer said.

Um, yeah, our law officers are to be keeping us safe, but just let his lady stay locked out and try to come up with her own device for getting back inside.  Big of Officer Moulton to come back to check on her...too bad she just didn't stay and help out in the first place.

Then there is this comment:

The woman could have called Hagerstown Housing Authority’s emergency number or called a locksmith in an effort to get into her apartment, said Ted Shankle, executive director for Hagerstown Housing Authority.


She did not call the emergency number, Shankle said.

Does common sense tell anyone else that if she was locked out she couldn't get to a phone?  Maybe I'm missing something, but it just doesn't make sense to me.  Hello?

Then I read an article about a First Grader in Delaware who was suspended for 45 days for bringing his favorite camping tool (a combination folding knife, fork and spoon) to school to eat his lunch with.  The Board of Ed there apparently changed their minds about the 45 day suspension of a FREAKING FIRST GRADER, thank GOD!  Okay, I get that we have to be careful and protect our kids but is there no common sense required in doing so?  C'mon!  45 days?  The kid didn't bring a machete for crying out loud.  He brought a camping tool!  Overturn the sentence....YA THINK? 

Please people, help me bring common sense back to our society.  And good manners too while we are at it as few people seem to have those anymore either.

What's the story from your local paper that makes you cringe and say WTH?



No comments:

Post a Comment