Friday, February 2, 2007

Freakin' Friday


Today is shaping up to be "one of those days".  Last night, I started getting that funny feeling that you get when you feel like you are maybe getting a cold.  Keep in mind that both the kids and the Brit have been sick and to the doctor over the last three weeks and I have managed to rise above it.  Now, all the vitamin C popping in the world may not help me this time. 

Add to that an ongoing problem we have had since the end of October with our plumbing.  The neighbor across the street had sewage backup in their basement in October, which led to the city coming out and digging a huge hole in the street in front of our house.  Mere days later, while doing laundry, our basement backed up.  The city solved the problem and took care of the bill though they insisted it was not their fault.  Last Friday, the same thing happened again, so we called a regular plumber and to the tune of $152 he unclogged it.  Today, same problem...a WEEK later and I am again waiting for a plumber, thankfully the same one as last week.  I also called the city, and they sent out Billy Jo Bob from the sticks with his chew in his bottom lip to ring my doorbell.  I opened the door and said, "Hi" and Billy Jo Bob said, "What'd I do?"  Yeah.  Okay.  At any rate, the city is going to check the main line again, and the plumber will be here in an hour or two.  It's just a tad odd that we had no plumbing issues until they dug a hole in the street in front of our house.

Add to that the fact that the Brit, who just got back from Atlanta a week ago, is going back on Monday and not returning until Friday night.  I really have minimal issues with this, honestly.  Yes, the kids listen to him better than to me, but I can cope and knowing that I have a Super Bowl party this Sunday and knitting group next Saturday after the Brit returns makes it feel bearable.  I am a little more stressed about him leaving with the probable impending cold I think I'm catching, because when the mom is sick, there is no rest time, especially when single parenting for a week, but I'm sure I'll prevail. 

Now, the point of this part of the story (and Brit don't read any further because I'm going to talk about you for a moment) is that the kids were supposed to go to their grandparents tonight, but grandma called and due to a death in the family, she is not going to get them till next weekend.  So, while I am on the phone with the Brit trying to find out what he wants me to do with the plumbing situation, I mention the fact that the kids are not going until next weekend and he says, "Yee haw, you mean I get peace and quiet on Saturday?" (This would be because they would be away and I would be off knitting).  This comment did not go over well on the soon-to-be-probably-sick-single-parent-of-all-next-week.  I love the man with all my heart, but in a moment of plumbing, fighting illness, not getting much adult conversation next week stress, he may want to hold off on those kinds of comments.

So there you have my day at a glance.  Maybe it will improve.  At least I'm not confronting my father who killed my mother when I was two years old, twenty years later.  Oh right.  That is on Dr. Phil.



No comments:

Post a Comment