Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Venting Post


I am often not one to say what I am thinking when I am thinking it.  The reason for this would be because I am SO non-confrontational and often in a moment of stress, when both parties are stressed, voicing my opinion could result in being snapped at, and I don't handle that well as it puts me in a place of confrontation in order to defend my opinion.

Case in point:  We have had a suspicious spot on the ceiling of our living room for MONTHS.  Ironically. this spot is just below our bathtub which is on the second floor.  I don't know about ya'll, but this has been a source of concern for me for MONTHS.  I do not, however, handle household fixing issues, other than to point out a problem.  I am not the chief bread-winner, nor the one who spends a lot of time watching DIY shows.  I am thankfully, not even the one who pays the bills.  So, if there is an issue, I make sure the Brit is aware of it, and then I leave it alone.  Yes, I have passed the buck and I no longer consider it my problem.

Two weeks ago, I cast my eyes on the ceiling to check out my source of concern and it seemed to be a wee bit worse.  I pointed this out to the Brit over the telephone and he said it had been that way for awhile.  Again, my work here is through. 

Last night, I was searching for a CD I wanted to download to my ipod (the CD cabinet is in the living room just next to the suspicious spot on the ceiling) when I felt like something was crawling in my hair. Reaching back, I felt moisture, so I looked up (Big surprise) to see water droplets coming from the ceiling.  As the Brit was right in the same room, probably watching DIY, I ventured outside of my box to remark, "The ceiling is leaking." 

Now, the other thing about being non-confrontational is that I am non-yelling as well.  I don't even like be near someone who is reacting loudly.  I'm not saying that I never yell, especially since Aaron's therapist tells me to remain emotionless while dealing with negative behaviors, but hey, let's be real.  When you have calmly and somewhat loudly called the name of a child who you know is ignoring you because he is in trouble....well, some things are just outside the realm of reality....but I digress.  So, the Brit throws a little man fit, complete with a few explenatives that send both JJ and I running for silence in the other room. 

Bottom line is that we need a plumber and it is going to cost us a little money, which we have, though spending any of it on plumbing was not in the plan.  But I guess I see things as one cannot expect to live in a nearly hundred year old house and NOT have things go wrong and in nearly six years, I'm not sure we have really put a large chunk of change into something we did not volunteer for (the windows and siding were a choice and not a necessity though we have enjoyed them both immensely.).  And let's face it, this was not TOTALLY unexpected (Hello?  Suspicous spot on the ceiling for MONTHS?) and I think it was simply a known fact that the problem was not just going to vanish, in fact, it would probably get worse over time.  Yeah, well, that's what happened.

Maybe I just view things differently.  Home owners are going to have to deal with repairs.  It's a given, unless you live in "Once Upon Time" where the problems are never related to plumbing or heating issues. 

It's just one of those suck it up and deal moments.



No comments:

Post a Comment