Thursday, February 8, 2007

My top picks


Did ya'll read my comment from the Brit after my last blog post?  He's so sweet and he comes home tomorrow!  I tell ya, a week with not much adult conversation other than on the phone is rough! 

I was thinking today that maybe some folks might be interested in some of my weight loss resources, found right here on the internet.  I have never been one to be shy about using message boards, though I know that not everyone is into that.  But I have always found other people to be a valuable resource and it is always nice to share information, ask questions and support each other.

My favorite site is 3fatchicks.  Now you might think "Gee, that sounds real nice!" but really, it is an incredible site.  3 Fat Chicks was formed by three very overweight sisters who basically decided to go on diets.  I believe two of them changed their eating habits and the third had gastric bypass surgery, but the 3 fat chicks aren't fat no more!  They created the website after their homepage was bombarded with emails from other women who were going through their own weight struggles.

This website is a wealth of information.  You will find diets, exercise information, recipes, calorie conversions, places to shop for plus size, as well as an online store.  At the store you can even purchase the book based upon the website.  If you go to "Community" off the homepage, that is where I spend most of my time.  The message boards hold a variety of topics and support groups for whatever eating program you are following.  The folks there have always been nice and helpful.  Most of them are women, but there are also several men.  For example, Charles has lost over 332 pounds.  The transition is amazing, and I know because there are places to post progress as well as goal pictures.  3fatchicks is my first choice of diet support.

Hungry Girl, I am fairly new to, but have already found it to be a valuable source of information.  I have signed up for daily emails from this site and they hold such things as evaluations on new low fat snacks, cereals, etc that hit the market as well as recipes.  There is also a link for diet news, questions and answers, food information, and weekend survival strategies. 

I also have to mention Gary.  I found Gary quite some time ago when he was a 400lb man who had decided to walk across the United States in order to regain his health and to bring attention to the obesity problem in the US.  I had not checked in on Gary in quite some time, so tonight, I had a peek.  Gary no longer weighs 400 pounds.  He also no longer suffers from diabetes nor congestive heart failure.  He is truly inspirational and looks like he is still walking!

I have a couple of other sites that I am still checking out, so I'll let you know on them once I have a better idea.  The internet is a wealth of information, but it isn't always good information and often I'll find a message board that has minimal activity and when you trying to become healthy, you want interaction with people who are going through the same thing.  At least I do.  I'll keep you posted.

Okay, I have to head out to praise band rehearsal.  Please wish the Brit a safe flight home tomorrow and if you feel like nagging, join me in griping at Lisa for not having a blog up and running by now.  She keeps talking about it, and I keep hoping eventually a blog filled with lots of cats and knitting will turn up!



No comments:

Post a Comment