Thursday, February 22, 2007

The joy of being a chick


There are just certain things we gals like and those of us who live with all men do not get to indulge ourselves as often as we should. 

Over minimally the past two years, the list of movies I have been to see include the likes of "Happy Feet", "Down the Drain", "Wallace and Gromit" and I think we did sneak in "The DaVinci Code".  So, three kids movies and a guy film.  I'm not saying I didn't like any of them; "Happy Feet" was enjoyable (anything with Disney animals is all good by me) and "The DaVinci Code" was good just for Tom Hanks alone and the fact that I was actually sitting with my husband watching a grown up movie.  Yet, something was still missing.

As a girl, I often have a strong craving for a good chick flick but not nearly as many opportunities as I'd like to see them.  Over the past year, I have not been to see several films I had a desire to attend.  I decided to put a stop to that today.

After seeing previews on television for ""Music and Lyrics" and loving the idea of the pairing of Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore, I decided it was time to go.  So I went.  And I went alone.  And I had a very good time with myself!  The theater was not crowded at all with the kiddies in school (about 8 of us watched the movie) and I had a small popcorn and diet soda all to myself.  Heck, I had the whole row, my favorite row, all to myself! 

If I had to be a critic, I'd have to say that the movie was not great, but it was enjoyable.  Just a nice, cute little chick flick for my amusement.  I was impressed that Hugh and Drew did their own singing; in fact, I'm going to have to go on iTunes and download their songs as they were catchy.  But I'll tell ya'll what.   Today, alone at a chick flick was like therapy to me.  It didn't matter if my seatmate liked or didn't like the movie as I had no seatmate.  There were no kids chattering on and on to me or asking me if they could go to the restroom.  As it was not a kid's movie, there were no chattering voices behind me or in front of me.  Don't misunderstand.  I enjoy taking my kids to the movies, but let's be realistic; they don't like the kind of movies that I, as a girl, like. 

So, I'm thinking like once a month I'm going to try to do this.  Lisa, you are always invited or anyone else who desires to go.  Sure, I could rent the movies after they are released on DVD, but ever since I was a kid, I loved seeing films on the big screen and now, being an adult, if I am trying to watch a movie at home, there are just too many distractions.  Lemme take that back...I rarely ever TRY to watch a movie at home because there is always something else for me to do, whether it be housework or computer surfing.  And again, I live with the male species and my movies don't so much interest them.

I've already picked my March movie.  I saw a preview for "Premonition" today and it looked good.  I am so there.



No comments:

Post a Comment