Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Biggest Loser Tuesdays


I love this show.  I know it has its share of people who don't like it, but I am not one of them.  Of course, I look past the snippets that are aired as for every two hours a week we see, there are 166 hours a week we don't see and of course, they air what they consider to be the best stuff for their ratings. 

But reality television put aside, this show changes lives.  People who battle weight often don't know where to start in order to get their health back on track and this show helps them do this.  They have two amazing trainers, doctors and other folks to make sure these people are doing the things they should do and can do and they have all this at their fingertips.

The season premiere was tonight and it was amazing.  Of course, three stories really stand out above the others.  Daniel, who started his journey last season, weighing in as the heaviest contestant, is back to finish what he started.  He got voted out, in my opinion, because his friend who was on the show with him, blew it for him.  I rooted for him last season and am overjoyed he is back.

Shay is the heaviest woman to ever be on the show, weighing in at close to 500 pounds.  Daniel picked her to be his partner in a heart touching moment and the duo did a great job this week losing 29 pounds between them. 

Then there is dear Abby, who brought me to tears.  In 2006, her husband and two young children (one being a two week old infant) were killed by a driver going over 100 MPH.  She also did a great job with weight loss the first week and stood up there and talked about how death would be an easier choice for her...that it was being here on earth that was hard and how there was no one else to share this journey with, that it was just for her.  She reduced Jillian to tears and between the two of them, I joined them in the cry fest. 

Alexandra and Julio fell below the yellow line the first week and Alexandra was voted off to go home, but has already lost 60 pounds from the time she was sent home (the show is obviously not live) and she plans to be at goal by the finale.

This show just inspires me to work a bit harder; to reach my goals.  They are all within my reach, I know this.  It is simply the choices I make every day that determine how long it takes me to get there.  We can all do it.  We just have to decide to.  It's as easy and as difficult as that.  If someone had told me 16 months ago that i would be exercising five days a week, sometimes more than once per day, I'd have laughed my ass off.  Yet, here I am and most days I even enjoy it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment