Thursday, September 24, 2009

This Day Has to Get Better, Right?


Yesterday was not a good day in my world.  Lots of irritation, lots of kids acting up, a little church drama, a lot of unnecessary rushing around due to changes in kid's plans and cryptic messages from kids being left on my cell phone.  Then a storm starts and kills the satellite right at 9:00 when "Glee" is coming on....not. a. good. day.  And so far this morning, I have had a spat with my husband and have left my cell phone at home.  Apparently, I need wine and lots of it tomorrow night.

I have always had some serious stress vices.  Food for example.  I got stressed, I ate.  And ate.  And ate.  I ate my way to 315 pounds (and actually I was once higher than that.  I found my old Curves stats papers last week.  Yikes!).  The only thing back then that helped me to not to eat as much was smoking.  Cigarettes, my dear old deadly friends.  But even to this day, when life gets really stressful, I want one...or ten.  I'm just choosing not to go buy a pack, which in all honesty, just adds more stress as I fight that inner battle whenever life gets tough. 

For me, there is a difference between relaxing and stress coping techniques.  I love internet surfing, reading and watching my favorite television shows, but these things are not stress busters for me.  They don't give me the same satisfaction when my nerves are on edge as food or smoking.  So what I have done is learned to use exercise as not only something to manage my weight, but to manage my stress. 

Taken off Hubpages, the following just proves the point:


The Psychological Benefits of Exercise



  • Physical activity is increasingly becoming part of the prescription for the treatment of depression and anxiety. Exercise alone is not a cure, but it does have a positive impact.
  • Research has found that regular physical activity appears as effective as psychotherapy for treating mild to moderate depression. Therapists also report that patients who exercise regularly simply feel better and are less likely to overeat or abuse alcohol and drugs.
  • Exercise can reduce anxiety - many studies have come to this conclusion. People who exercise report feeling less stressed or nervous. Even five minutes of aerobic exercise (exercise which requires oxygen, such as a step class, swimming, walking) can stimulate anti-anxiety effects.
  • Physical exercise helps to counteract the withdrawal, inactivity and feelings of hopelessness that characterize depression. Studies show that both aerobic and anaerobic exercise (exercise which does not require oxygen, such as weightlifting) have anti-depressive effects.
  • Moods such as tension, fatigue, anger and vigor are all positively affected by exercise.
  • Exercising can improve the way you perceive your physical condition, athletic abilities and body image. Enhanced self-esteem is another benefit.
  • Last, but not least, exercise brings you into contact with other people in a non-clinical, positive environment. For the length of your walk or workout or aqua-fit class, you engage with people who share your interest in that activity.

Endorphins


Endorphins are chemicals produced in the brain, which bind to neuro-receptors to give relief from pain. Discovered in 1975, endorphins are believed to: relieve pain; enhance the immune system; reduce stress; and delay the aging process. Exercise stimulates the release of endorphins, sending these chemicals throughout the body. Endorphin release varies from person to person; some people will feel an endorphin rush, or second wind, after jogging for 10 minutes. Others will jog for half an hour before their second wind kicks in. You don't have to exercise vigorously to stimulate endorphin release: meditation, acupuncture, massage therapy, even eating spicy food or breathing deeply - these all cause your body to produce endorphins naturally.

Kind of amazing when you think about it.  So I don't just exercise for weight benefits or because I like to be busy running to the gym.  Technically, my exercising is probably keeping people alive and me from completely alienating everyone in my world, because I am angry and on the verge of a major eruption of volcanic proportion some days.  It's not always a cure-all for a bad day, but it definitely helps. 

I have actually discovered that when I am skipping exercise, not only do I lack energy, but it shows in my mood as well.  I am more irritable on a regular basis or just feel "out of sorts".  I think that once one starts exercising regularly, the brain starts to depend on those endorphins being released and when it suddenly stops for some reason (like vacation) the brain reacts or goes into withdrawal or something.  I just think that all in all, exercise is a good thing for everyone to do, and it is definitely a MUST for me.  My life is stressful, as is everyone's.  I spend a lot of time running kids to appointments, shopping, running errands for people, keeping a house clean in the face of three men, laundry, which is a full time job on its own and daily coming up with things to cook when I despise all things culinary.  I would like to think that it is known fact, that the women of the households are who keep it running smoothly.  If we stopped doing what we do, well, let's not even go there.  It is also an under appreciated job.  No one says "thanks for my clean clothes, mom!" or anything like that.  In other jobs, you have a paycheck to show you did your job; not so with motherhood.  Clean clothes, clean house, food in the fridge and on the table, simply becomes the "norm".  People really only notice it when it ceases to exist. 

Okay, did not mean to go off that tangent, but you see what I mean about stress.  It exists for all of us so if you are feeling particularly fragile or explosive, go climb on an elliptical, or walk a mile, or cycle.  Chances are, you will feel much better for having done so.  Besides, it is a good way for mothers to thank themselves for a job well done.

In other news, my friend Shiloh is probably in surgery right now for a mastectomy, so please keep her in your prayers today and in the days to come.  The good news is that there was no call when her x ray and blood work results came back to indicate the cancer had spread.  I'll let you know how she did when I text her hubby later.

And speaking of Shiloh, thank you to Susan for sponsoring my walk and helping us to kick cancer's ass!  Susan and I have never met in person and she found my blog when she was looking into having RNY.  She has since had the surgery and is doing great.  Thanks a million, Susan, for your pledge!  It means a lot.

If you can help, go here and sponsor me in the 5k (Kimberly Jones), as I walk with Shiloh, her family and friends.  Chances are if we can find a cure to any one kind of cancer, the rest will follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment