Friday, August 25, 2006

A male art form


So, I realize that many of you may already know that men can make television their number one favorite habit.  Tonight, however, I realized that the Brit has taken this one step further; he has made boring television a true art.

There is no one else that I know who can spend an evening watching the "shows most likely your wife will fall asleep to".  The worst part is that as a female, I just don't get WHY he watches most of them!  Let me give you an example of a typical night (tonight actually).  We started off with "Benny Hill".  I can honestly admit that I found this British slapstickish, vaudevillish program rather amusing....when I was about thirteen.  Now, however, I just find it annoying.  I suppose part of the appeal would be the scantily dressed women, but c'mon!  Can that really hold a guy's attention night after night?  Okay, maybe no one should really answer that question.

Next up was "Good Eats".  I am not a fan of cooking shows because primarily, I hate to cook.  The Brit rarely cooks, so I'm very unsure of his fascination with with these kinds of shows.  The host of this particular one, Alton Brown, drives me insane.  I'm not sure of exactly why; he just makes me crazy (I rank him right up there with Rachel Raye...that voice...ack!)

From here, I am not sure of program titles, plus I would tend to come in here to the computer when I had nothing else to occupy myself with in the living room, but they ranged from men working on cars, to men working on motorhomes, to men working on Harleys (that is the only one I "Get" as the Brit does like the bikes), to poker (I find WATCHING poker dull, but I do enjoy playing it).  I stay as long as I can bear, then I have to retreat, even if I'm not in the mood to sit in front of the computer.  I never really care what he watches on Saturday and Sunday nights as those are my chat nights with two friends who live in other countries,but tonight there was really nothing entertaining to do.

Yes, Brit, I realize that this is strictly a female's perspective and that perhaps you find my choice of shows every bit as dull.   I'm hoping life will improve once the fall season starts as we both like "House", "CSI Las Vegas" and he tolerates "American Idol" fairly well (though that doesn't begin until January).

It's just difficult for me to wrap my mind around his choice of programming.  Yes, I have become over the summer a "Dr. Phil" and "Oprah" junkie, but I think of it this way:  I often learn things from these shows that I will probably put into practice.  We don't even own a motorhome!  If I got a call occasionally that said "Honey, don't cook tonight.  I got this great recipe from the television last night that I'm going to fix!" I would immediately stop being bored with the cooking shows as they would now be for the greater good, even if it be mine.  But I don't get these calls and though we have discussed the possibility of a boat one day, a motorhome has really never come up.  The man is also smart enough that if something goes wrong with his car, he takes it in to be serviced, so why all the car repair shows?

Okay, question of the weekend...who here has taken a cruise?  On what ship did your travel and to where?  What did you like best and least?

Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment