Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Knitting Intermission


So for tonight, I'm actually going to pretend that this is a knitting blog!  Oh?  Really?  It was always intended to be a knitting blog?  Oops.  My bad. 

So, it's kind of like this.  Summer here in Maryland tends to be humid and we don't have central air.  We have AC in the bedroom, the spare room (where the kids will sleep if it is ungodly hot) and in one room on the first floor.  But when it is hot like this, the last I want to do is hold wool in my lap.  So other than when I am someplace else (our monthly meeting of Fiber Fanatics or WOF) that has AC, not much knitting has been happening in my house this summer!

But now with the kids back in school, I have actually picked up projects this week and started to knit a few rows, before it occured to me just how many ongoing projects I have at the moment!  Now, this might not be uncommon for seasoned knitters, but I am far from seasoned, though apparently I have insane pretty well covered.

We have this:



This is an unfinished prayer shawl; my first prayer shawl to be exact.  We are starting up this ministy at my church in October and this is the demo.  I am nearly two skeins into it, with the shawl being a total of three skeins.

Then there is this:



This is the beginning of a for real baby blanket pattern, using stitches out the Vogue Knitting Stitchionary.  As you can see, I'm not very far along on that one.

Then I dug out this: 



This is the start of a sweater (my first sweater actually) for JJ.  The plan was to have knitted both boys a sweater by Christmas.  Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

Next up:



The sock!  One day I might have enough length on it to learn how to turn the heel!

The greatest shame is this:



This is my very first hat, cast on and COMPLETED (or so I thought) nearly a year ago.  Shelley helped me measure my big head and we got the width right!  However, the silly thing was not long enough!  So again with Shell's help, we picked up stitches around the brim, hoping that by knitting for a bit there, it will remedy the problem.  Don't let the suspense kill you, y'all, as it is been in the needing to knit stage for months now.  I actually took it off the needles two nights ago and placed it on a stitch holder because after my knitting inventory, I decided I didn't have quite enough going on.  So, this happened:



Baby hat to donate to the Sisters of Charity, where we meet to knit once a month.  Once this is completed (it's moving fast actually) I guess I'll eenie, meenie, miney, moe to work out what project to pick up next! 

So there is knitting that happens here...or at the very least, casting on!



and I can't seem to convince Alex that she is not much cooler in my lap than wool.



No comments:

Post a Comment