Tuesday, August 1, 2006

The quaint town of Cape May


So, we are home, safe and sound after two days in Cape May, New Jersey.  I've never been a big fan of NJ, but Cape May is the exception to the rule.  I fell in love with the place.  We were fortunate enough to find a hotel right on the beach with a side view room that suited us just fine. 

Cape May seems to attract a bit of an older crowd (yes, at 40, I am now grouping myself in with "the older crowd, but hey, if I want noise and mayhem, I have two kids, thank you) as opposed to Wildwood, which is right down the road and a much more commercial area, attracting a much younger crowd.  When it comes to ocean towns, I like something original, with one of a kind shops, as opposed to a Sunsations on every block.  Cape May offers this, with four blocks of little shops, selling anything from knick knacks to clothing.  Yes, I even found a yarn store (like you even for a minute thought I might not!).

We paid a visit to the Cape May Light House:



And just to give you an idea of the quaintness of the area, I snapped a picture of the houses that were the norm of the area:





Very victorian and elegant, with massive front porches.  Yeah, I could live there.

The highlight of the trip for me, was the whale and dolphin watch.  

I may not have ever made mention in this blog about my passion for marine life.  Were it not for all the math involved, I would have pursued a career in Marine Biology.  I have always battled with my feelings over places like Sea World and Marineland, just because I can't really justify the captivity of these animals.  Yes, I know they serve to educate and to expose people to these creatures who may not ever have a chance to see them otherwise (and yes, I battle the same issues with zoos), but given my choice, I would much rather see any animal in its natural habitat.

                                      

See, I find this way more exciting then to watch them doing flips in an aquarium pool.

We were fortunate enough to encounter a school of approx 300 dolphins.  They were all around our boat, coming out of the water, breaching, tail slapping, obviously hunting their dinner.  It was amazing.  We did not encounter any whales, but as the naturalist said "This is nature, folks, not Sea World."  You see what you see.  Not like you can call the whales for an appointment or anything.

All in all, an awesome trip.  I'd like to go again when it is not quite so hot!  The east coast is in the midst of an incredible heat wave right now which is supposed to last until around Monday.  It is way too hot to knit or to clean (no central air here!) or to do much of anything other than trying to stay cool.

Those of you who are kitten lovers, pop over to Knitowls blog to see what she rescued last week!  If I lived closer and didn't already have six cats, I would take Squint in a heartbeat!



No comments:

Post a Comment