Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Adventure of Meddling Mother and the Aggravated Daughter


I find it interesting that after my rant yesterday, the only thing my commenters grabbed hold of was the one sentence about vacation.� Jimnotmike, I am disappointed.� I expected you to tell me how to change how I related to this kid.� In retrospect, vacation should be more or less fine as there will be other adults around and The Genius tends to be pretty good for other people.� Just not for me.



So the fun never ended yesterday!� Ya'll know how I feel about The Chosen Ones, my brother and his wife, who have nothing to do with me or my kids but they will invite her bosses kid over to swim with a friend, but never invite my kids.� We see them on holidays if I can't get out of it, though they were invited to my fire pit nights but to this day have not shown up for one, though she told my mother she sent me an email explaining that because she worked Saturdays, they would not be able to come (and I never got said email) because Lord knows, they would not be able to come and just socialize with us for an hour or two and not be able to get drunk.� There is a huge laundry list of reasons I prefer not to see these people.� They make me angry, because growing up my brother and I were close and when his wife entered the picture it all changed.� But I digress.� Just wanted to give you a refresher on The Chosen Ones.



My mother talked to me last week and said she wanted to have the four of us over for dinner one night before we left for California, so last Friday I confirmed with her if Thursday would be okay.� She mentioned that my sister, Vicki would probably be there but that was all good.� I like Vicki just fine and we have always gotten along well together.� This should have been the end of the story.



Yesterday at work, my mother called and said she just wanted to give me a head's up that The Chosen Ones were also coming to dinner (she uses their real names of course).� She could apparently tell I was pissed; I mean after all, this was a little bit underhanded in my opinion as she knows how I feel about them but she has some pipe dream that some night at dinner, my brother and I will magically be close again.



Doubtful.� In fact, highly unlikely.



She asked me if I was mad and I informed her I was because she knew I had no desire to be around these people (and hell, this week has not been stressful enough; let's put me in a situation you purposefully trapped me into) and she said, "Well, you are going away for two weeks." to which I replied, "I haven't seen nor heard from them in six months!"



I mean, c'mon, seriously?� Like they care that I am going away on vacation for two weeks?



Then she says, "Well, I told them it had nothing to do with your birthday."



WTF is that about?� Because if it did have to do with my birthday, that would be a problem?�



Then she says, "It wouldn't really be fair to invite you four and not them."



Oh god no.� So all the times she goes out to dinner with them, it is not fair no one invites me?� Who was going to tell them we were going to be there other than her?� Not like they just ever turn up.� No, they need a schedule and an invitation.



So now what was to be a nice relaxing dinner in air conditioning has turned into something I cannot wait to be done with and I am already trying to figure out just how quickly I can leave after dinner.� It's not that they are unpleasant to be around it is just that seeing them reminds me of all the bullshit I don't like about them.� Their inability to get involved with anything (like they witnessed someone punching their dog in the face but because this was a neighbor of her parents, they didn't want to "cause any trouble" and this is just one example of this kind of crap), the fake act they put on when Beach Sister is here about wanting to find a church which lasts until Beach Sister boards a plane to go home and then it only comes up again the next time she is here, the fact that when my mother, aunt and uncle were out their way and decided to stop in to say "hi" (aunt and uncle live a few hours away) my brother refused to let them in because they were "power napping", they way they neglect my kids but dote on children not related to them and the list goes on and on.� Seeing them brings all this up and I hate having to pretend to be nice for my mother's sake.� Because I feel next to nothing for these people.� I don't respect them, don't understand them.� They can live their lives however they see fit, but I don't want to be tricked into having to spend time with them.



That pisses me off.




2 comments:

  1. Knowing firsthand how close your brother and you were; and knowing his wife as we went to school together...it amazes me how much the two of them have apparently changed! Have you EVER told them how they make you feel? Maybe it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if my second comment came through then. In it I discussed that very topic. But in all fairness, I'm not sure my view of change works for you. You seem to hold onto a lot. I think the term "Pent-Up" might describe it best. My philosophy on change requires letting all of that go. I mean, what's wrong with just going to dinner and having a wonderful time with people...forget they are family, forget that you don't enjoy them. Eat, drink and be merry. Think you could do it? You might just discover that without all of the pent-up family garbage...these people, as horrible as they may or may not be, might be worth something.

    ReplyDelete