Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Debate Class


My friend, Jimnotmike and I tend to disagree on stuff, which is fine.� Most of the time I can see his point and just let it go as a difference of opinion, but his comment to me last night I have to reply to.� He knows I love him, but this one was not a black and white thing for me.



He said: OK, so if you hate her so much and find it so boring, why wouldn't you tell her why you don't like her class? I've often found that a little constructive criticism can go a long way. Perhaps she has no idea how annoying she is. Perhaps other people in the room agree. Perhaps...it is your civic duty, as I often feel it is mine, to enlighten the "Whoo" shrew?



To be�honest, I don't feel it is my job or my place to tell her I don't like her class.� There are people who do like her and some of the gals I have befriended in Jack's class are genuinely surprised by my hatred of Jen's class.� I look at my dislike of her as a conflict in personalities.� I do think that Jack's class attracts more people primarily because of his personality.� He also appeals to the musical theater person in me as he generally works out one large combination by the end of class.� So I generally CHOOSE not to go to Jen's class and I would not have gone last night had I known Jack would not be there.� They do cover for each other from time to time and I just rearrange my schedule to accommodate his class, even if he is on a different or an additional day.� It doesn't happen often thankfully and it just happened to happen this week when I was not here last week to hear the announcement.



I guess I never really feel it is my place to point out someone's shortcomings because they are only shortcomings to me as far as I know.� For as independent as I am and as non-caring as I often come across if someone doesn't like me, I think it would be horrible if every person who did not like my personality or my method of living my life felt it was their civic duty to enlighten me on why, for them, I suck.







I think if everyone did that, more and more people would be on antidepressants afraid to get out of bed in the morning.� I have taken many classes over the years; school, exercise, hobbies and there are always teachers I don't like.� Those same teachers I don't like, have been favorites of other people.� I think it all has to do with our personalities and personal preference.� It's what makes us different as being alike would really be boring.�



Moving on.



I love running.� Have I mentioned this lately?� Despite a terrible night's sleep last night, I set my alarm for 5:38 AM in order to get a run in before work and before the temps reached the estimated 102 degrees today.� It was so nice to walk outside into relatively cool air that early in the morning, to not have to share the road with anyone for the most part and to be alone with my thoughts.� Running is my time to regroup, commune with nature and God and my body and I love it.� It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life but I do it and doing it despite how hard it is makes me feel strong.� Running makes me undeniably happy, gives me incredible energy the rest of the day (though given my lack of quality sleep last night, a nap may be in order today).� I love the dedication running has given me and the discipline (such as getting up at Freakin' Early AM) it inspires in me.�



What inspires you?




1 comment:

  1. You know I love being mentioned in your blog, and after today...I needed a little pick me up. I also love it when we disagree. I don't seem to have enough people in my life that disagree with me. Maybe that's cause I'm usually right...hmmm. LOL Anyway, no, I don't think you should walk down the street pointing out peoples shortcomings, tho now that I think about, that could be kind of fun and I have been known to sit and people watch in various situations and trash people...but rarely directly to their face. I think tho, that when I'm paying for something, be it a service or a product, that I need to get what I want out of it, and if I'm not the person offering the service or product needs to be told. So, yes, I would tell the "Whoo Girl" why I don't enjoy her class, if I were in it and didn't. Not in a way to tell her she is doing something wrong, or not good at her job...but in way that lets her know there are other options or opinions regarding her class. She then has the choice to process those comments any way she feels she might like to. Maybe less "Whooing"? Maybe less repetition? Or she may choose to augment nothing. But from my point of view I then feel that I have done my part. And on a complete side note, if I were "Whoo Girl" and teaching a class of any kind and I saw someone in that class I don't usually see in that class...I would be asking them afterward how they enjoyed it? Were there any things that could be improved? Was it difficult to follow? Was it distracting? Criticism is a good thing when handled constructively and in a non-threatening manner. And quite frankly I don't think the general population asks for it or gives it near as much as they should.

    ReplyDelete