Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thursday 13: The Gastric Girl Edition

I met Miss Laurie when I was researching my RNY.� We have never met in person but she is one of my C&P girls on-line and she is great fun.� I am also very jealous of both she and�Jil� because they get to live close together and are friends in real life!





Hi, my name is Laurie and I'm normally found at http://gastric-girl.blogspot.com� and I'm filling in for Kim while she's in North Carolina!�

Kim had gotten me involved with the Thursday 13 meme, and I have had so much fun with it. Naturally, when Kim needed some fill-ins for her blog, I wanted to get Thursday!



This week - we'll discuss 13 things that are helpful to me in my journey to fitness, if not necessary!



1) Music - This is super important to me - as I can't even work at my full time job without music in the background.� It is what helps motivate me to keep going and it's just a joy to me!�� Sometimes I just chant to myself, "I just have to make it through this song!" over and over again... It helps me!

2) Good shoes - Good shoes are essential in your fitness journey.� Old and worn out, or shoes that are too heavy, etc. can cause an injury.� Not good!!

3) A good bra - You want to keep the girls in place!����

4) An activity you love - If you don't love what you're doing, you probably won't keep doing it!�� I like to vary my routine so I can change things up and avoid boredom.�� My activities of choice - weight classes, the elliptical machine, and weight machines (not brave enough for the free weights yet).� I am going to try zumba soon, as well as a spin class.� I've watched the classes going on while I was on the elliptical, and I look forward to trying them!

5) A heart rate monitor - Not sure if you're working hard enough, or even working too hard?� A heart rate monitor will help remedy that situation for you!�� I love mine...� It tells me when to slow down, or kick it up a notch... and it tells me my calories burned!�� It's much more accurate than the calorie counts on machines, and you can even wear most models while swimming.��

6) A workout buddy - I have a workout buddy for my muscle blast class, and I love it!� It is really helpful to me.� And, when 7 am on a Saturday morning rolls around and I want to stay in bed, just knowing that she's going to be there waiting on me makes me get up and go!

7) A healthy "diet" - while I refuse to ever go on another DIET again, eating right will certainly come in handy on your journey.� My choice - low fat proteins, complex carbs, and low fat.�� I try to stay away from fat free items because the taste just isn't there.� Moderation!

8) Breathable clothing - if you wear heavy clothes while working out, you'll feel like you're getting heavier and heavier as you sweat..� Investing in some clothing that allows your skin to breathe is essential - plus, it will help you not break out so easily!

9) A plan - It's easiest to start and keep up with a routine if you have a plan in place.� What are your goals?� How much time do you have to invest in your workout routine?

10) Measurements - Whether your goal is to lose weight, bulk up, etc., take your measurements periodically.� We all know the scale is a pain sometimes, but measurements don't lie.���

11) Pictures - Taking before and during pictures will help you, especially during those days that you just don't feel like going to work out.�� Put those before pictures in a prominent place and look forward to taking those "after" pictures!

12) WATER! -� I know water doesn't taste the best, but it is one of the most important elements to your success!� You have to keep your body hydrated.� Without water, your muscles will not get hydrated, and you will not have the stamina to complete your workouts!

13) Patience - We live in an "I want it NOW!" society.� Well, our bodies did not get out of shape overnight, and they're not going to bounce back overnight.� Realize you are a work in progress, and that the changes WILL happen.� It may not be as quickly as you like, but it will happen!�� Keep on keeping on!


Happy Thursday to you all!���

Kim, I hope you're having a great time!



4 comments:

  1. Music makes it easier to stick with anything - exercise or writing or cleaning house.

    My Thursday Thirteen ishere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music is so motivational for working out. Without it, the time seems to pass so slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an avid runner I consider most of these necessities.

    ReplyDelete