Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cathartic


First off, let me thank those of you who left me positive comments yesterday based on my rant.  Things feel somewhat better today, though I still feel a bit overwhelmed, but a lot of that has to do with next week, I think.  Working two places next week is not a problem under normal circumstances but my mother is currently not a normal circumstance.  But hopefully, it will all work out.  I'm also working on figuring out a way to workout next week and I think my best bet is going to be going home, picking up my oldest (my youngest is in a club at school and doesn't come home until nearly 6:00) and taking him to the YMCA with me.  He is grounded, so I would make him stay in the gym with me and actually work out for an hour.  He'll live through the experience.

I am slowly discovering that running is rather cathartic for me.  Yesterday, with my head all full of stuff and annoyance and a bit of self pity (and no, there was no cotton in her ear...she was feeling swelling) I went back to the park and did my run-walk again and by the time I was finished, I was feeling much better.  And let me tell you, running outside is the way to go.  So much more interesting than the treadmill and I can actually see the distance I have covered.  So matter how winded I get, there must be something I love about this sport because I keep going back to it.  I always kind of thought there was a runner hidden inside of me, and though she has not fully emerged yet, she is poking her head out to scope out the situation and apparently feeling a bit more confident with each outing. 

Being the blog reader that I am, I have discovered that I have problems finding running blogs of women over 40.  Most of them I have found are women in their twenties and though, good for them for running, I think running a little later in life has its own set of challenges and it is nice to find people to relate to.  So, if you stumble across this little blog and you are a runner over 40, give me a shout out and if you have a blog, give me a URL.  Would love to read you and learn from you.

Moving on....

I didn't give a birthday shout out last week to Jimnotmike and I should have as he turned the big 40, the poor baby.  He had a gathering Saturday night that we went to and he does the best food.  Awesome stuff, like sushi-ish size stuff only it is turkey with a dab of stuffing and cranberry sauce or bite sized meatloaf with a puff of mashed potatoes on top.  Then there was the best birthday cake ever, which I cannot figure out why it was so good as it was not chocolate, but I could have eaten way more of it than I did but I didn't want to get sick off sugar overload.  But YUM.  So, Jim, welcome to the wonderful world of 40; it's not as bad as you think.  I have actually been rather enjoying my time here.  It has its challenges, but every decade does.

Okay, off to run soon and then home to cook dinner and get some stuff done in preparation for hell week next week!

 I'm telling you, when it is just me and the outdoors, there is some kind of magic there.



2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your thought about this post. I had to tell that I did not notice a kind of good writer before this time. Could you create the really correctly finished thesis writing and history dissertation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how much I LOVE being mentioned in your blog. Well, if you don't...you do now!!! Thanks for the shout out. Oh, I'm currently in Orlando and it's 77 degrees. I'm wearing shorts and flip flops :-)

    ReplyDelete