Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Healthy Fast Food?


So is anyone else the least bit concerned about Taco Bell's "Drive Thru Diet"?  This bothers me on more levels than I can understand.  For me, "diet" and "fast food" just don't mix.  You have no idea how it is being prepared; and by this I mean what kind of oil, is it fried, etc...not to mention the concerns over the actual hands that prepare it or any other "bodies" that might be living in the establishment, such as mice or bugs.  I only say this as I used to work in a fast food establishment and we had mice every winter. 

The other big concern with me is going through a drive thru often means eating in a car, often while driving, which means you are not focused on your eating, which could cause you to overeat or not realize you are full.

What is very amusing to me is how the commercial says "Results aren't typical".  Really?  They are referring to their spokesperson for this new "diet" who lost 54 pounds in two years by replacing her usual fast food lunch with Taco Bell's diet menu.......AND exercising and cutting her caloric intake from 1750 to 1250.  My personal guess is that the exercise and calorie cutting had more to do with a 54 pound weight loss than Taco Bell.

What also disturbs me is this quote in one article I was reading today:  "The reality is most Americans are on-the-go and will eat foods purchased through a drive-thru an average of 10 times a month," said Ruth Carey, the Blazers' nutritionist, whose role in the push is to offer consumers tips for healthier choices while eating at quick-service restaurants.

Really?  Ten times a month?  Even at 315 pounds, that would have been very excessive for me.  If people are eating fast food that often, it is no wonder we have an obesity epidemic here in this country.  The stuff is just not healthy for you; often even the meals they advertise as "healthy".  Watch the documentary "Super Size Me" to get just an idea of how unhealthy the stuff really is.  Don't let them fool you and they will try.  As people become more health conscience, the fast food industry is being forced to try to fool you into still eating their food because they are relying on your money. 

Meal planning is key and not being on the go when hungry will help keep you away from these places.  Personally, I would not go for the Taco Bell diet.  Do your own shopping and preparing and you are way more in control of what goes in your mouth.

I nearly made the mistake today as I went to Kmart.  Actually, Kmart was the last place I went in a quest to find sweat pants because it is bloody cold here on the East coast and all my workout pants are capris or shorts and Brrrr!  I tried the second hand shops and found two pair that fit me in the waist; one was ugly and other though marked as women's, either had to be mens or made for a giant woman as they were so freaking long.  So by the time I hit Kmart, I was starving.  Did find sweats for $5 a pair and got the last two pair in my size, both in the same color (I really expected shopping to be easier by going from a 3x to an XL, but noooo.  There was an abundance of 2x and 3x and two lousy pair of xl with no option of different colors.  Anyway, Kmart also has my both beloved and dreaded orange slices; not the fruit but the chewy orange sugary goodness....but I resisted and managed to walk by them by reminding myself there was a healthy lunch waiting for me at home.

Do the challenges never end?

Kickboxing tonight and then the new season of The Biggest Loser!



1 comment:

  1. I limit myself to fast food twice a week...kind of like a reward for being a little better about my eating the rest of the time. Course, now that Burger King isn't doing their Mushroom & Swiss Burgers anymore, it will probably be less. CURSE YOU BURGER KING!!! Traveling as much as I do I have to say it's a lot harder to stay away from Fast Food on the road. Time demands just don't always allow for me to sit down for a meal. But what I do now is take my South Beach Bars with me and a jar of natural peanut butter. At least that way I feel like I am getting my protein and vitamins and not just shoving a bunch of gooey fat and cheese into my mouth. If I'm somewhere for more than 10 days I'll request a fridge from the hotel and find a grocery store. Did you know you can make darn beef tips and gravy using a hotel room coffee pot? I also have grilled tuna on the iron. I swear, I should write a book called Room Service! Who Needs Room Service???.

    ReplyDelete