Tuesday, January 26, 2010

One Down, Four to Go


Evenings are really hard for me.  I plan out my food all day long but come evening, when dinner is finished and tidied up and lunches are packed, that is when it gets complicated.  And it doesn't even start out badly; cucumbers and some dip, a sugar free jello and I would have been finished had my ten year old not come down and offered me a handful of M & M's.  I don't buy them, don't carry them, but if offered, I am powerless refuse.  Le sigh. 

Well, I survived day one of hell week.  Bus training was interesting.  Only nine of us in the class and a sense of humor is thankfully appreciated, especially given the amount of rules there are for driving a bus.  One woman in the class is semi-annoying as she doesn't want to leave anything to common sense, which translates into everything must be questioned for a Very. Specific. Answer.  Problem is, when it comes to kids on a bus, there is not always a specific answer.  I finally spoke up after one rather long discussion and said "It sounds to me like there are a lot of judgment calls, but err on the side of caution."  It's just better to be safe than sorry.

So after class, I headed out to the church and after putting in my time there, I went to the gym and ran-walked two miles on the treadmill.  You know, there are pros and cons to both treadmill and outside  running.  Treadmill running gets boring, but you can control your speed and your terrain.  It is all even "pavement" running on a mill and the climate is more or less controlled.  Outside, you have the beauty of your surroundings and the ability to actually see in distance how far you have run.  But either way, I am glad I got it done.  Being this busy, like so many other things in life, is stressful and I don't care what your stresses are, though exercise won't solve your problems, it can help you keep your mental health in check.  And that matters, no matter what you may think. 

There are days I have to literally drag myself out the door in my workout attire, either because I am tired, having a crap day or a crap life at the moment, but I am telling you, exercise helps me with all that.  It helps my coping skills.  It puts me in control of something in my life, even if everything else feels totally out of my control. I can take the worst day and make something good come out of it for myself.  It may seem like a small thing but it is truly not insignificant.  I just think it is really true; that becoming stronger physically, helps us to feel empowered with everything else in our lives.  There is absolute truth there.  There is a confidence that comes with becoming healthy and that confidence spills over into all other aspects of our lives.  Just try it.  Better yet, make it a habit.  I believe with all my heart that the results will surprise you.

I think people quit exercise programs because they don't give them enough of a chance.  That definitely used to be me.  The first few weeks it is a chore and one we don't generally feel like doing.  "I have to move....A LOT...and SWEAT.....A LOT."  No one is in a hurry to sign up for that.  And people want to see immediate results...they are not immediate.  But give it a few weeks and you will be surprised.  My body now misses exercise when I have to go a few days without it.  Don't get me wrong; I don't sit around freaking out because I have this intense desire to dump whatever obligation is taking precedence and run to the YMCA.  It's not like that.  But when I have to go a few days without exercise I find myself getting irritable more easily and I feel very sluggish.  Like just let me curl up in a corner and sleep sluggish.  My energy level, my outlook on life, all of it is better with exercise.

And don't let yourself get into an exercise rut either.  Try new things.  Sure, you can find that one workout you LOVE and adore, but if you never mix anything else you, you are likely to get bored and boredom is
 a downward spiral.  Challenge your mind and your body with new things and don't talk yourself out of them before you give them a real chance.  The "I could never do that" mentality probably means you can't.  You've already talked yourself out of it.  The mind is incredibly powerful but it can be used both for evil and for good.  Our bodies are generally capable of so much more than our minds want to accept, so approach new things with a "can do" attitude and you will be surprised at how far you go. 

I've decided that today is Comment Tuesday.  Who's reading?  Leave me a note.  It's been way too quiet around these parts lately!



2 comments:

  1. I'm here girlfriend!! I don't comment like I want to, but I'm still out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading you!!!
    I always do =)

    Keep up the good work =)

    Javi

    ReplyDelete