Sunday, January 3, 2010

Things I Don't Understand


Why is it suddenly socially acceptable for people to wear their pajamas out in public?  I'm talking about clothing that is obviously pajamas...not like a pair of sweats.  I'm talking about pajama bottoms with little bears or something on them and slippers and "Hey, let's go shopping at Walmart!" (or the mall or anywhere really.  I've seen it all over).  Is this just happening in my little town or is it going on everywhere?  Hell, I won't leave the house without makeup 99.9% of the time...without "real" clothes is just not an option. 

I know I have probably beaten this horse to death, but I keep hoping and praying that maybe each time I address it, one person, just one person sees it and starts to change their way of thinking.  So here's the story:

A young man I have had the privilege of recently meeting, has come out of the closest and admitted to being a homosexual.  As most gay men I have had the joy of knowing in my life, this person has known it about himself for as long as he can remember (because ya know, five year olds out there are making choices about their sexual preferences) and there have been some struggles within his family (which to an extent I understand) and within his church (which I do not nor will I ever truly understand).  A member of this church elected to get on this person's personal web page and point out the error of his ways for all the world to see, as opposed to sending his opinions privately.  It's not that the person was mean, but obviously very opinionated and very unwilling to consider any other way of looking at things.

These kinds of things make me so angry and they frustrate me greatly.  Regardless of what you believe, doesn't a certain amount of common sense have to play into things somewhere?  I don't even understand those people who believe that being gay is a "choice".  Who would make that choice?  I sure as hell wouldn't, given the stigma that is attached to it.  I also know that I didn't "Choose" anything at any point in my life as far as who I was attracted to sexually.  Yet, so many people think they did...and those people seem to think they can just change.  Okay, straight people, if you were suddenly told it was now illegal to be with the opposite sex and that you had to swing the other way, how would you feel?  Could you do it?  Would it be uncomfortable or feel unnatural to you?  Sure it would.  So why on earth do you think it would be any different for them? 

And that whole Sodom and Gomorrah thing was so Old Testament.  What about Jesus and what he came to do for the whole world WAY after that whole incident?  Why is it that Christians never seem to take that into account?  I always place so much more weight on words that Jesus said...he was after all, the Son of God.  Did God intend it for homosexuality to exist?  Probably not, but did he intend for cancer, or child abuse to exist?  Nope, I'm bettin'.  Did he intend for children to be born with sex organs of both sexes, or better yet, did those babies "choose" that?  Couldn't that and homosexuality kind of be tied together at different levels?  And why do Christians feel it is their job to change these folks by quoting scripture to them?  Why not just love them and let God do the rest?  Why does "Christian" and "judgmental" always seem to go together for so many people?  It's not our job. 

Okay, stepping off the soapbox now.  Look, I don't know if I'm right about any of this, but I do think that God has placed it on my heart to talk about it every so often.  I mean, I am a heterosexual female, so why should I care?  Fact is, I do and because I feel so strongly about it, I firmly believe it comes from above. 

So tomorrow it is off to the gym to kick things up a notch.  My veggies are cut up and it is back to better eating, thank God!  How are you spending the first Monday of the new year?



2 comments:

  1. I'm with you - I don't get it. If one isn't interested in dating someone of the same sex, then don't do it. You don't do it, I don't do it. Why anyone would care if someone else chooses to, is what I don't understand. I don't like croc shoes, so I don't where them, but I don't judge those who do....well provided they're under the age of 10....bad example, but you get my drift. If no one is being hurt and it doesn't involve you, then why should you care? Seems like wasted energy.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Kimmy, tho I did bristle ever so slightly when you likened homosexuality to cancer and child abuse. But I do understand where you were going with that comparison.

    First let me say that I don't believe in God, or Jesus or the bible for that matter. I suppose I am one of those Godless homosexuals the "christians" are so worried about all the time. But, I did just spend an entire week working a Christian Conference in St. Louis. This particular one was non-denominational and aimed at the college aged student(17,000 of them to be exact). I was impressed by the fact that each of their session tracks had a workshop involving homosexuality in some form. Trust me, I looked for the "Crucify Them All" one, but it was not to be found. They all centered around repairing the rift between the church and homosexuals. It made me feel good know that they realized there was a rift to begin with, and that they then thought it could use some fixing. While I may not believe in what the church teaches/preaches, or have use for it myself. I do believe it is valuable to our society and understand why so many people value it in their daily lives.

    My heart goes out to your friend. Coming Out can be a difficult and sometimes never ending process. Here I am, almost 41, and am often confronted with the choice of who to tell and when to keep my mouth shut. I am thankful that in my lifetime I have witnessed a change in attitude that has often made it easier to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete