Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What Kind of Sick Joke.....


So today, I had to stop at the grocery store because The Brit needed something he hadn't realized he needed when I did the official shop on Sunday.  So while I was there, I decided to pick up some more of my Crystal Lite Strawberry flavor packets and Wally World didn't have any of it on Sunday and though I bought a pack of the fruit punch....yuck.  Very sweet and kind of gross.  So I searched and searched as I usually don't shop at this store and where do I find the little boxes of sugar free Crystal Lite?  In the same aisle and actually right next to THE CANDY.  Seriously?  C'mon!  I did manage to walk out without candy and only a small bag of trail mix, found in the same aisle.

Jimnotmike left a comment yesterday that was interesting to me in a few ways:

I limit myself to fast food twice a week...kind of like a reward for being a little better about my eating the rest of the time. Course, now that Burger King isn't doing their Mushroom & Swiss Burgers anymore, it will probably be less. CURSE YOU BURGER KING!!! Traveling as much as I do I have to say it's a lot harder to stay away from Fast Food on the road. Time demands just don't always allow for me to sit down for a meal. But what I do now is take my South Beach Bars with me and a jar of natural peanut butter. At least that way I feel like I am getting my protein and vitamins and not just shoving a bunch of gooey fat and cheese into my mouth. If I'm somewhere for more than 10 days I'll request a fridge from the hotel and find a grocery store. Did you know you can make darn beef tips and gravy using a hotel room coffee pot? I also have grilled tuna on the iron. I swear, I should write a book called Room Service! Who Needs Room Service???.

First off, for those of you not in the know, Jim travels with his job....ALOT.  And he is in great shape.  So what he is doing is working for him as he makes it work for him.  He also exercises.  My biggest annoyance is that Taco Bell is stating their thing is a "diet" and I'm sorry, I cannot put any faith in that.  Any foods in moderation can be eaten on occasion, but for me, something like Taco Bell would be an occasional treat (this is an example; I hate Taco Bell.  If I'm going to eat fast food, like Jim, it would be Burger King and in the last twenty months, I have had fast food one time and it was BK and only because it was the dinner stop on a bus trip.  Oh and it was damn good too, but I once again steer away from places with a drive thru unless it is for coffee.) and not a "diet".

Oh and Jim? If you can grill tuna on an iron and beef tips and gravy in a coffee pot, then yes, you need to write a book on hotel room cooking for the travelers who are trying to eat healthy!  Quite innovative!

Last night's kickboxing class was painful and crowded.  I have been a back row girl since I started taking that class close to a year ago.  Of course, as it is January, it was a full house last night and there were so many tall men in the class (usually we have about three guys total other than the instructor) that I moved up with a group of women I have become kickboxing friends with and chat with before class.  They told me I would never go back to the back row now and they are right. I could see what Michael was doing (when I can't see him, I get lost really easily) and was not nearly as concerned with what other people were doing because I couldn't see most of them.  Also being closer to the mirrors had me watching my form a bit more.

But the painful...we are wondering if Michael made it especially grueling to try to weed out some of the resolution people or to see if they were serious.  We had done all the parts of this particular class before but not necessarily in this order of intensity.  I was dog tired by the end of it and dripping wet.  But despite that, I did run today.  Running the day after kickboxing is always a challenge to me as my body  has not quite had 24 hours to recover from an intense cardio workout.  But I did manage an eight minute run and a twelve minute run.  I am discovering tricks for myself too when running inside at the gym.  The soap opera is a must; it gives me something else to focus on and I will make little deals with myself such as "I will start running when the commercials begin and run until the following commercial break.".  I also now cover the display on the treadmill with my towel so I can't watch the minutes tick by.  It makes it much less painful for me.

I am also again tracking my food on My Fitness Pal and I really like it.  I loved the people at Spark People but the site either isn't very user friendly or I am not bright enough to use it and we don't need to take a poll on which answer it is.  I just had problems doing what I wanted to do over there and so far Fitness Pal is proving to be easy to use.  I just don't have a lot of time to try to figure things out and even more than that, I don't have the patience. So it needs to be simple for me to stick with it and this is. 
I can also track my exercise and it takes those calories burned into account with what I ate.  Cool stuff.  Give it a go.  It also helps me be more accountable for what I'm eating. 

And I've lost two pounds this week

Thinking of changing the name of the blog; not the url as that has to stay,  but this blog started out as a knitting blog and it so isn't that anymore.  It's become more health and fitness than anything else.  So what do you think?  Do I change it? 



4 comments:

  1. Aw, I feel like a guest on your own little version of Oprah :-)

    I say keep the name. The is no reason that Kittens who Knit can't also be fit. (he he...I rhymed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, First off, happy new Year to you and I LOVE the look of your new BLOG site. I especially love reading about the Taco Bell "diet" food as I also have seen the comercials. SHAME ON THEM ....Do they honestly believe we, the public but into this crap?..So now that the weather has gotten so unbearably cold i to am back in the gym ..Actually tonight will be my New YEar's return. I have turned into the professional walker and mark that as my favorite form of exercise but alas it is just to darm cold outside so into the gym I go. After work will be my first tiem this year and thankfully I can get there by 4:15 so I can get on some machines. I've decided this year somehow, someway my friend Stephanie and I have to plan to get together with you. I can hardly believe that it will be like almost 2 years since I've followed your site and feel like I know you. So mark your calendar and maybe we coudl all meet up in the Spring...Well, take care and keep on running...so very proud of you for your determination..
    Luv, Susan

    ReplyDelete