Sunday, January 6, 2008

TheSix Month Structured Diet faux pas


Okay, so I have a few questions to the WLS world out there that maybe someone can give me some opinions on.

I'm making an assumption that I will probably have surgery in April.  If we are approved in February and the Brit goes first, that may put him at the beginning of March.  We have to go about four weeks apart, so that will put me roughly in April.  My in laws have a timeshare in Florida and they will be there from mid-May till mid-June and we would like to go, but are wondering if that is too soon for us to travel after surgery.

The other thing is the youth group mission trip, which I very much would like to go on again this year.  Now, I am not going to place anything before my surgery, or my health after surgery, please understand.  We will have a backup chaperone in the event I am not feeling up to going (the trip is tentatively slated for June 29-July 4).  My bigger worry is what if I have some kind of complication while in an impoverished area??  Is the trip not a good idea or would I just have to check with my surgeon for a name of a doctor in the area in case of a problem?

I have screwed up with this whole structured diet thing a bit and am now trying to make up for it.  I barely lost anything on WW (like two pounds) and next week marks our second visit to Hopkins for our second month of our second three month structured diet (if you understood that, you are doing better than I did typing it).  Of course, Christmas fell in between the first and second appointments not to mention having company etc.  Yes, these are excuses, but the bottom line is that I do not believe that I lost weight.  So, like a teenager trying to cram for a test, I am trying to show a loss by next week.  I'm combining eating the way I should along with some slim fast, just to meet a number.

I know I am ready for surgery.  There is no doubt in my mind.  But I have been resentful of the six months of structured diets just because I have been dieting almost my whole life and yo-yoing every bit as long.  I know that eating changes come with surgery and I am psyched to get that ball rolling.  I am looking forward to not feeling hungry, to avoiding dumping, to actually losing weight and getting my life back! 

It probably sounds hypocritical but I don't mean to be.  I'm just being honest.



No comments:

Post a Comment