Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thoughts from a Post-Op


After last night's blog, I sent that quote by the WLS patient to my friend, C.  C had RNY several years ago and is a walking success story.  In addition to that, she is totally in our corner in supporting us through our journey.

I was curious about what C would have to say about this person's situation and the words she said in regards to now being an "unhealthy obese person" and "regretting the surgery" as she had put all her weight back on plus more.  C had the following to say in response:

Just because some have failed does not mean everyone fails! I was over 400 lbs in March of 1998. The night before my surgery was the first time I stopped thinking of my by-pass long enough to worry about will I die on the table, but the alternative was a wheelchair & a life of excuses & feeling bad. I could not even walk across the parking lot at work without have to stop & get my breath! So do not tell me there is any such thing as a healthy fat person, As we all know, heavy people suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, poor circulation, shortness of breath... shall I go on? 

   One year after surgery I had lost 170lbs. (YEAH ME) Yes, you do need to retrain yourself not to eat as much, or carb-heavy foods, but that was the idea in the weight loss in the first place. Yes, your system is different now but I do not have diarrhea, & only about once a year I will throw up something my system can not handle. Then about three years ago, I decided I wanted to be in the "UNDER 200 CLUB" so I tightened up the carb count & lost another 50lbs. Then reaching that goal, I wanted to weigh 170lbs for the first time in my adult life. As I sit here I am 4 lbs from that goal and I am eating a tootsie pop. (so you can be a little bad).

  This diet is not easy! YOU MUST KEEP IN MIND the surgery is a TOOL for you to use in order to drop the mounds of fat that are not allowing you to have a LIFE! I walk, ride bikes, drive horses, best of all fit into a size 14!!! ( & look really good)  My confidence level is through the roof. I think now I can do anything!  I could go on & on, but I am sure you all have heard the success stories. And the the failure story that prompted my response. The only thing I would like to say to her is TRY AGAIN  you could still lose it again. I have spoke with a lady that did ..yes, it was hard but it worked!  You already had the surgery; make it work for you. I did not want anyone to know I had the surgery back then; now …I’ll tell anyone YEAH IT WORKS! & keeps on working.. For years later.   If anyone has questions I'd be glad to answer them. Please keep in mind your life can change; you can reshape you. There is no such thing as a “good carb” or bad fat & no more calorie counting. YOU CAN DO IT; set your self free from fat . Every dream I had use to start with “when I lose weight” now it's "fit new stuff into life".  

I guess it is hard to find anything negative about the surgery ... after some thought I must say I believe it's because the people that have made the life choice to have the by-pass are so committed to its success that they (like myself) will not allow a negative thought to creep into the mind! It is a TOOL, a CHOICE & only mature adults should even begin to consider it. I HAVE NOT EVER REGRETTED my decision to have the by-pass surgery & since I am a 10 year veteran I can say truthfully I WILL NOT going forward, regret having the surgery. 

 I am very fortunate to have a loving and supportive husband. At the time of my surgery that was not the case. I went through the healing process being made fun of & the butt of jokes, so please do not think I had easy street. When I went back to work after a while it was exciting to watch the weight fall off. Always use rule of thumb: eat as few carbs as possible & exercise more today than yesterday,even if its only one step more on a walk or one step more. I can remember one young woman I used to meet in the doctor's office , I feel reasonably sure she did not continue the diet. She would not stop using food as a crutch or as a friend & in some cases her life line. She would come in the office & head straight for the peppermint candy on the counter & eat & eat it... I guess it comes down to as all things ....a choice! I prayed to God a lot during that time I wanted to succeed at losing weight once & for all.        

… I LOVE IT !!!! God Bless you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!     



No comments:

Post a Comment