Monday, September 29, 2008

Amazing!


I was very happily down two more pounds this morning!  So that leaves 38 pounds to go till ONEDERLAND!

I know some people refer to "Onederland" as that first 100 pounds lost, but for me it is that scale hitting 199.  I cannot wait to see that number!  No matter where you are, the morning I hit that puppy, you will hear my screams of glee!

I am still hitting the YMCA five days a week and my love/hate relationship with the elliptical continues to improve.  Today, I actually programmed it to increase resistance off and on for twenty minutes.  Nearly killed me, but I feel fabulous when it is all over and done with.  The newness of being able to exercise with more ease than I have ever been to in my life has not yet worn off.  When I sprint up the stairs in my house, I still sometimes marvel at the top how I am not out of breath.  My body is becoming my new toy and I am just thrilled and enchanted with the things it can do when it is not hauling around an extra 78 pounds! Today at the church, I RAN down the hall to tell some folks something.  Did ya catch that?  I RAN!  And no one was chasing me.  And I was not out of breath from the effort.  Holy crap, someone pinch me, will ya?  There are days my mind will just not catch up with the transformation of my body. Today was one of those days.

Susan's surgery date is November 11th and girl, I am counting down the days with you!  This is such an exciting, nerve-wracking time.  I remember it well!  So other WLS surgery girls, what advice do you have for this pre-op?  Here is what really worked for me:



  • If you have family living with you, do some meals for them in advance and freeze them.  I did that for The Brit and the kids, so that in my first few days home, I didn't have to deal with cooking.  It made things very easy!

  • Make sure you buy all your vitamins and supplements so you have them.  Your calcium, Flintstone Chewables, etc.  Also stock up on some sugar free pudding (I did the instant and then all I had to do was mix it once I got home) and sugar free popsicles (The sugar free fudgesicles are awesome, btw).  Soup broths, etc.  You are so not going to be hungry when you get home, but you still have to put things in your system.  Also, the Danon Light and Fit yogurt, has the least amount of sugar and 5 grams of protein and it comes in yummy flavors.  You will be introduced to it at Bayview!

  • Know that you are probably going to go home on a blood thinner injectable.  It sucks but is necessary.  If you can't bring yourself to stick yourself (this will be in the tummy) prepare the hubby!

  • Best thing to do to avoid clots and to get yourself moving in the right direction once you get home?  WALK.  I couldn't make it far at all at first as surgery really makes you tire easily, but each day, often more than once a day, I would take a little walk outside; down to the end of the street, eventually further.  Exercise is so important and I realize that fully now.  You'll want to tone up as you lose, as soon as you are able to do so.  Don't overly push yourself as your body is healing; do what is comfortable.  A few months after surgery, you will start to feel like you can take on the world!

  • Document.  I had The Brit take Before photos the day before my surgery, then I have him take pics every three months.  Please do this.  Your mind takes awhile to believe what is happening to your body, but when I could place my Before and current After side by side, my mind could no longer deny the changes. Plus, it documents your WL journey and it is a journey.

So, what did I forget, girls?



No comments:

Post a Comment