Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Lenten 40 Day Carb Challenge


So do you think it is wrong to combine religious beliefs with healthy eating?  Ah well, whatever works.

So it starts tomorrow, so there should be rules, I think.  Yes?  Of course yes. 

The carbs I am swearing off until Easter are:

Any and all chip-like material.  This includes the demonous (new word.  You like?) Chex Mix and the pretzels of Lucifer.

Any and all high sugar snacks.  My current demons are: orange slices, peach rings and the occasional York Peppermint Patty.

White bread and white potatoes.  I don't do much of these anyway, but still good to put it out there.

What is permissible:

Sugar free desserts, such as the single servings of sugar free jello with lite Cool Whip or any sugar free treat if we go out to dinner.  Again, this is something I rarely partake in (the dessert, not the jello) anyway.

Hmmm.  Is there anything else or are those my only struggles? I think that is it. 

My cat has been eating today!  Such a massive relief.  But every time one stressful thing calms down, there is another one to take its place.  They delayed school today by two hours, so I went in two hours late, which I hate doing.  It is actually easier for me to deal with kids when there is no school as there are grandparents willing to help, but two hour delays there are very few remedies for.  Now the stupid school board has called for another two hour delay tomorrow!  (Icy back roads in the mornings apparently).  I do not want to go in late again, because I need to make up the time and 1) if I have to work 11-3 tomorrow, that means no gym and 2) JJ has an eye appointment at 3:00 I need to pick him up for. So, I am considering one of three things:

1) and my least favorite plan is take them to work with me for two hours and then bring them home in time to get to school.  Problems here are there is nothing for them to do at my job other than bother me, which means I'd may as well have stayed home anyway for as much as I will get accomplished.  Plus it is not very cost or time effective for me to go to work and then turn around and drive back home again and then back to work, all between 8:30-10:00.

2) I leave them here like I do in the summer, and then come home by 10:00 to make sure they get off to school or

3) I leave them here like I do in the summer, and call at 10:00 to get the oldest out the door and call again at 10:20 to get the youngest one out the door.

It is all slightly nerve wracking, but the weather is making it very hard to do my job and get done the things I want and need to accomplish.  So we will discuss the plans at dinner tonight after kickboxing and see what the consensus is.

Anyone else giving up anything for Lent?



1 comment:

  1. Yay on the Low Carbs For Lent! It's really not as hard as it can sounds. I've been on the low carb thing for a long time and found it very beneficial. We as a society have just been programmed by both the government and the media to crave carbs. Bread, pasta, sugar...they're all things that aren't bad in extreme moderation but we are told to eat pounds of them! It's just not right. I am off to New Orleans on Friday, and most would see that as a Carb Catastrophe, but really it's not. You eat the Gumbo, not the rice. For people who like seafood it's really easy. Fried shrimp(that little bit of breading doesn't really count once it's been soaked in oil), crawdads, oysters, all that stuff is low carb. For me the toughest thing is pasta and if you stick to the whole wheat stuff you can enjoy it every once in a while. Darling, if you find yourself in Carb Conundrums, you just email me, I'll help you through it. I have become the Low Carb Master.

    ReplyDelete