Wednesday, February 3, 2010

To Save A Life


I went to the movies today to see the above film.  I had never heard of it, but someone on Facebook suggested I become a fan of it, so I went to the website to check it out and was interested enough to go see it.

The film deals with teen suicide and is Christian based, which probably means it won't last long in theaters, but it was extremely well done.  It was the kind of movie that makes you want to be a better person, mother, youth group leader, whatever. 

Yet films like this always make me doubt everything where my own parenting skills are concerned, especially with my eldest son, who has always been a challenge to parent.  I never know if I am parenting him correctly.  His early childhood was not good with his biological parents (let's face it, had it been good, he would still be with them) and it is hard to know whether those experiences have made him the often difficult kid he is or if it is his ADHD.  But I keep trying to renew my efforts; to try to do things differently, to try something else.  I don't know what the answers are, I can only keep praying to find them. 

Had another little issue to discuss...the kid I mentioned a few weeks ago who came out of the closet?  Well, he has a great voice and is a passionate Christian.  However, the music person at his church has decided he should no longer be allowed to sing for his congregation.  She said he has "taken the name of God in vain, professed to be a Christian and then got up to sing" (sorry, what?) and that he had abused his "God given talent".  This troubles me so much because it is Christians like this woman who give the rest of a us a bad name and I hate it.  Being a Christian does not give us a right to judge and if I know nothing else about God, I know He loves all His children....and I don't think He would be pleased with the judgments this woman passed on this kid.  Christians have done so much damage to these relationships and I just wish there were more people willing to try to make amends.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kimmy! Sorry I haven't commented lately,I've been "On The Road" with work and a little too engrossed in my own personal life for a while. But ya know...when you touch on something gay...here I am. So, what I want to know is how your "Friend", when faced with such disdain from those fellow "christians", handles it? I'm curious, because for me that particular "chirstian influence" is what played such a huge role in my rethinking of my belief system. I guess where the grey area falls for me is in what makes a Christian a Christian and what makes a Christian a wacko? Any thoughts on that subject?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a religious perosn, I grew up in a two faith family and went to a Cathoic school which was a third faith in my childhood. I also live din Iraw for 2 years when really young, so was exposed to Islam as well.

    I think Christians like her are really the ones who keep non-believers like me from even talking to believers. Why do I want to start a conversation where the other person will just unleash vitriol instead of understanding? I think we need more Christians like you Kim, to bridge the gap.

    ReplyDelete