Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thursday Thirteen


I am going to try this Thursday Thirteen thing because one day a week, I would love to find some mindless blogging.

But first, in order to thank him and make his day with a blog mention, Jimnotmike has been very supportive in my low carb adventures.  Check out some of his comments with low carb suggestions.  Yesterdays was for pizza, which is a favorite treat of mine that I bypassed yesterday.

So, for my first Thursday Thirteen, I am going to do thirteen things I think are the bee's knees about losing weight.



  1. Stairs.  I can run up and down them without any problems.  The only problem I ever have is the day after kickboxing when my knees are killing me and that is only an issue if I am not wearing shoes at home.
  2. Shopping off most racks.  Though I am still a size 18, I can generally find those and no longer have to set foot in Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug.  Actually, I prefer shopping off the racks at Goodwill!
  3. Becoming in tune with my body.  This is a constant learning experience.  I am learning that it can do things I never imagined it would.  Even a year ago, I could not have imagined myself running, yet now I do.  Okay, it is slow and not yet far, but still RUNNING!  ME!
  4. Hair.  I no longer have to hide behind it.  It is now shorter than it has been, oh, probably since birth, and I adore it.  No frills, no work.  I have way more important things to do than to mess with a high maintenance hair style.
  5. Breathing.  Huffing and puffing is no more.
  6. A new love of things like cucumber and apples and soup.  Never cared for any of it much before, but now they are staples of my week.
  7. Confidence.  I always thought I was a confident person, but apparently I wasn't because I certainly am now.  I don't care so much what other people think.  They can like me or hate me and if they hate me, it is not my issue.  It takes way more energy to hate someone than it does to be hated.
  8. A newfound sense of adventure.  There is very little I will not try now.  With weight came fear about failing at many things, either due to fitness or just to being too heavy to do it.  Not anymore.  Now I make lists in my head of things I want to experience.
  9. Being able to look at food in a different way and rarely having to think about it.  My eating habits are not perfect.  I eat things I shouldn't.  But on the flip side, the things that are really bad for me that I used to love, don't much interest me anymore.  Often now, things are too sweet or I just don't get the pleasure out of eating them anymore.  Sometimes they make me feel sick to eat them.  But it's all good as it keeps me in check for the most part.
  10. I now feel rested in the morning and my back does not kill me.  At 315 pounds, I often couldn't sleep more than 6 hours without pain.  It is so nice to get a good night's sleep.
  11. Exercise and now understanding the benefits of it.  Yeah, you heard.  I agree there are definite benefits to exercise and now I even get bitchy if I have to go a few days without it.
  12. The Great Outdoors.  I love being outside now whenever weather allows.  Walking, biking, running.  I want to give hiking a try one day.  Yeah, I still hate the cold, but providing it is not unbearable, let me out to exercise or do yard work.
  13. Feeling at home in my own body.  This is a huge one for me. I no longer feel like my body is some alien that has been surgically attached to me.  I am discovering that it can do great things and I am comfortable while it is doing those things.  I no longer long for invisibility.  It's all good.



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

 


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others� comments. It�s easy, and fun!


Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants



6 comments:

  1. Aw, you did just make my day! I just went to the Dump to take 2 weeks worth of "Snowpocalypse" trash that had been sitting in my basement. There is always so much to do before I leave on a trip. Laundry, the Dump, Grocery Shopping(because it won't get done while I'm gone), Cleaning (because it won't get done while I'm gone). So it really did brighten my day to see the mention :-) Today's Low Carb Hint. Remember those "Soo Shee" Spinach Salads I made for my Birthday Party? Well, those are low carb. As long as you pick a sturdy cracker with lots of whole wheat goodness. All I did was layer spinach, bacon, a bit of onion and a piece of hard boiled egg onto the cracker and then drizzle it with a simple vinaigrette. Come to think of it, this would also make a great little sandwich. I use those Sandwich Thins now. I love them, a lot less bread, meaning a lot less carbs, if you get the whole wheat or multigrain. I'd just use a little more bacon on the sandwich version. You would wind up with a sandwich that is less than 5g Carbs. Something else I would like to mention...when looking at the Carbs listed on an items nutritional information, what you should really be looking at is the grams of SUGARS. Something can have 21g of carbs, but it's not the Dietary Fiber that is bad for you...it's the Sugars. I sure wish they would make the nutritional labels easier to read. Anyway...great Thursday 13 and have fun while I am slaving away in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may just have helped me a lot with this post sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really could identify with your 13. I've lost a lot of weight over this last year, about 100 lbs so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on these... I have recently started and within a couple of weeks, I have lost 2kg and 20cm!!!

    Mine is up as well at AussiePomm, have a great TT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really great congrats! I'm trying to drop some weight and I'm definitely looking forward to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are inspiring me for apples, cucumber and soups :D

    More than just annoyed

    ReplyDelete