Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thank God All I Had to do was Lie on the Table


So not long after my surgery two and a half years ago, I met this woman at my gym named Cathy.� She is in her 50s and back then I was pretty open about having had gastric bypass. She had been interested and had asked questions and we chatted a few times after that, but over the last two years and the fact that I don't get to the Y much over the summer, our conversations the last year have been pretty much one or two sentence exchanges.



Today, I was finishing up my workout and Cathy was standing there talking to one of the gals who works in the gym...I'll call her Amanda as I have no idea of her name.� I could tell Cathy was talking to me, so I pulled off my headphones and smiled.� She asked me how my weight loss was coming and I told her I had been plateued for the past year.� She then looked at Amanda and said "She had gastric bypass."� I told Amanda I was pretty sure I needed to switch up my workouts but wasn't sure what else to do and I was considering meeting with a trainer on occasion.� Cathy then said "Amanda has lost weight."...



I replied that she looked great and yes, I had noticed and I asked her how she had done it.� Amanda said just watching what she ate and she did get some training from Stephanie, one of the trainers.� Cathy then said, "Yeah, and Amanda did it all by herself."



Because obviously, I cheated.� I still managed to smile at the bitch.



Amanda and I had a chat after Cathy left about carbohydrates, calories and the need to build muscle mass to speed up metabolism and I left actually feeling excited.� I am thinking about meeting with a trainer, maybe once a month.� It's $35 for an hour but if she can switch me up every so often, maybe I can solve my problem.� Despite Cathy being a wench, I was glad for the chance to get to talk to Amanda, hear her story and exchange my own and thankfully she did not seem as judgemental.



And this is why I no longer offer the fact that I had surgery to anyone.




2 comments:

  1. Well did you not choose to have the surgery "All By Yourself"? I mean come on, "whatever works!" is what I say. My sister is a certified personal trainer...I could hook you 2 up if you like? Heck, she'd even come to your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how did you hold your tongue? I'd of had to say "Excuse me? Are you saying I didn't have to work hard to get to my current weight? Do you think that because I had surgery I don't have to watch what I eat and I don't have to exercise? Please enlighten me with your expertise."

    ReplyDelete