Sunday, July 27, 2008

Celebrating Life


My friend, Jane, who I asked you to pray for died yesterday evening.  She was sixty years old.  Sixty year old women who are full of life and laughter really shouldn't die, yet we live in an imperfect world where bad things happen.  The good news is that she is now Home, out of pain, out of the hospital and with her Lord and Savior.

I wasn't sure what to blog about today because I've been feeling sad over Jane's passing.  Knowing what I knew of Jane, I was certain at the last minute she would pull through as she struck me as the kind of woman who would simply say, "To hell with the odds!  I'm not going yet!".  Yet, that was not to be and last night, I lost a friend. 

But as I walked around the park a few minutes ago, I was thinking about what to post in light of this sad news.  I was just going to state that Jane had been called Home and leave it at that, but somehow, that didn't seem fair and it certainly didn't seem like something Jane would have wanted.  She was so funny and full of life and there is no doubt in my mind that she is in heaven, cracking everyone up with puns and jokes.  So in thinking about Jane, it just seemed fitting to talk about celebrating life, even if it is mine, because since surgery, I have found so many reasons to celebrate.

I did about a twenty minute mile today, which while not great, was better than it would have been in the fall.  Physically, I felt fabulous doing it; there was a gentle breeze blowing and the sun was shining and reflecting off the lake.  I love putting my ipod on Shuffle and getting the surprise as to what song comes on next, as with 312 songs, it is always a surprise.  Today it was Rascal Flatts and Chris Rice and Abba and Casting Crowns and Natalie Grant.  I love the music blocking all the outside noise and allowing me to focus more on what I see and smell.  It was rejuvinating.

I need to start some strength training soon in preparation of horseback riding (Ironically, I believe Jane loved horses as she was collecting the Breyer ponies).  I don't want to finally get into the saddle only to suddenly find myself on the ground.  We're planning on rejoining the YMCA once the kids go back to school, but maybe I can get The Brit to do it sooner and we could alternate evenings or something while the kids are still on vacation.  My upper arms need work!

I am finally at a place in my life where I feel as if anything is possible; that my dreams really are within reach.  I've always had dreams, but only now do I really believe that they are attainable.  God has given me an incredible opportunity to truly live.

Rest in peace, Jane Rowan.  You'll be sadly missed down here, but yet, I kind of like knowing you are up there looking out for the Mags and I know when I'm called Home, you will be there waiting to greet me.  Keep a special eyes on your PICC too because she is really going to miss you.



No comments:

Post a Comment