Sunday, June 21, 2009

Coming to a close


Well, we are down to our final days in England and I meet them with both sadness and an urge to get back home.

There are so many parts of this country I find enchanting and beautiful.  The quaintness appeals to me greatly...little villages and few chain stores unlike in the USA.  Sure, there are some parts that are very commercial like the mall we can walk to from the house (tho the majority of the stores we don't have in the USA).  Yet across the road from this mall is a church that is older than my country.

That leaves me in awe.

It is easy to get comfortable here; the laid back country roads, lunches at little pubs that seem to round every corner, the busyness and appeal of the city.  I love it all.  I love the experience. And there are so many people here I genuinely like and love spending time with.

Yet it is time to go home. I look forward to seeing my cats and my friends.  I look forward to kickboxing and a mission trip...holy crap, a week from today.  I look forward to doing a little nesting at my home after July 3rd after being away for so long.

But I will miss people.  I will miss the clean air and the ever changing weather.  I will even miss riding on the opposite side of the road and roundabouts.

But my To Do list has grown since being here...writing, gardening, hanging clothes out to dry, running, learning some new things.

I look forward to all of it.

And one day I will look forward to a return trip to my favorite country.



2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean Kim...I have been back 12 years now and I miss it still...I hope someday to return...just to taste the air of that emerald isle once more, to take the train into Belfast, to walk down to the Coast Road Sunday after church, sit on the rocks and write or just stare into that irish sea, beyond the Ilsa Craig (the Maidens) and on a clear day to glimpse Scotland across the way...a part of me is still there...but in saying that...there is no place like home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even believe that you've been gone that long already! It sounds like a great trip - full of memories the four of you will carry for a lifetime. I'm sure you'll go back again as soon as it is possible.

    ReplyDelete