Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Teenage Amusement


Allow me to set the scene for you:

It's a kabillion degrees outside.  We are leaving tomorrow, and I still have stuff to do and so do the kids, but only one is home from school thus far...the teenager.

He comes home with "Twenty coats" from his locker that are in his book bag.  Either these are baby doll coats or he exaggerates. We'll assume the latter.  He is instructed to hang up the coats and then go out back and weed whack.  He farts around making a sandwich, which is fine and then goes up to put coats away.  He then comes downstairs with two or three coats and says "These can go to the Salvation Army."

(We're leaving TOMORROW)

I nicely explain to him that he just needs to hang them up for now and we will deal with them later.

He comes back downstairs a minute later and says "I don't know if dad can fix this tonight but the zipper on this coat is stuck."

(We're leaving TOMORROW AND IT IS A KABILLION DEGREES OUTSIDE)

I again tell him to hang it up and we will deal with it later....like when it's COLD.

So he half does the weed whacking and then pulls a 'tude when instructed he needs to do a better job (I never even  heard the weed whacker so I think he just stomped on the grass growing beside the fence).

I had asked him earlier to clean up his room, so while he was outside, I went up to do it (this is how it works in my world.) and found a note he had written to his girlfriend, Polly, when he was suspended for the Hit List, explaining his absence.  It went something like this:

"Polly, I suppose you have been wondering where I am.  I got suspended from school for getting into a fight with some seniors (Kim's note: because in middle school, you have so much access to high school seniors).  Of course, I lost because there were 12 of them and only one of me."

I know that life is tough when you are a teenager, but the parents have to have some amusement too.

This time tomorrow I will be sitting in an airport!



No comments:

Post a Comment