Friday, June 11, 2010

And So It Begins


Summer is a time of challenge with The Genius and it always has been. I don't know exactly what it is; part of me thinks it is because he does far better with structure and when school is out, his normal schedule is disrupted.� That theory blows my mind a little because the new structure for four hours a morning is he gets to watch television and play the Wii while I am at work, so why act out?� But he does and it began yesterday.



The kids were leaving to go camping Thursday evening, so I told The Lawyer I needed the grass mowed (one of his normal chores) and The Genius he needed to do the weed whacking out front and along the fence in the back.� I told them it could wait until I got home because of Wednesday's rain and the grass would need to dry out a bit.� I also told them that their rooms needed to be tidy before they could leave.



The Lawyer called me at work around 11:30 and said the grass was dry and could he mow and I told him yes.� I asked him if The Genius was going to weed whack and he said no, not right now.� That was fine as they had until 4:00 to get it done.�



So I got home and grass was mowed but I could tell that out front, the weed whacking had not been done at least on the side with the tree.� The tree in front of the house, between the sidewalk and the road has large roots that cannot be mowed over, so that area has to be whacked.� Not done.� Again, it was fine as he had till 4:00, but when I went inside, he informed me he had done it.� I looked out back along the fence and the grass was still as tall as ever and when questioned about it, The Lawyer said, "Mom, he used the mower."� Well, you can't get close enough with the mower which is why his job is WEED WHACKING.� I asked him if he had gotten to his room and he told me yes, it was done.� So I sent him back outside to do the job correctly and I tidied up and vacuumed downstairs.� When I went upstairs to vacuum, what I discovered was that his room was a disaster with crap all over the floor making it impossible to vacuum.� So there was job numero�dos he had to "do over."



The rest of the afternoon went fairly well, until The Lawyer came to ask me if he could take my fishing rod camping and I told him yes.� He went to the basement to get it, and he returned with my rod but no reel.� I asked where the reel was and he told me The Genius had taken it off to put it on HIS rod.� I called The Genius inside and asked him why he did this and he replied, "Well, you barely ever use it."� He had wanted to take his PSP with him camping (he currently doesn't have it in his possession due to lies) and I told him no at this point as I didn't see where he had done anything today to earn that privilege.



So the grandparents finally got there and The Brit got there as we were going to go out to dinner once the kids left. I had hoped to go for a run before as the kids were supposed to leave between 4-5 but the grandparents didn't arrive until 5:30.� So, The Brit went out to help put our bike rack on the grandparent's van so the kids could take their bikes, and I locked up the house.� Upon going to set our alarm with my remote, I discovered all the buttons of the remote missing.� I set the alarm manually using the wall system and went outside where they were still loading the bike rack.� I asked The Genius, who had taken the shed key off my key ring the day before (and due to them being off school, I had not had to set the alarm using my remote since Tuesday morning).� He said he had no idea what had happened to it.� Of course.



The Brit was rather annoyed as to replace a remote costs $50 and they don't just fall apart.� The kids left and I did a search of the house looking for pieces but didn't find any.� We went to dinner and I stewed about what might of happened.� The Brit took my remote apart and his, and mine was missing not only four buttons, but two batteries, a clip�and the inner frame!� This stuff could not come out without the remote being opened and to say the remote was opened meant it had to be closed back up again which meant someone knew something and it wasn't me.



We called The Genius then and he admitted to "dropping it" the previous night.� I questioned where and he said by the desk nearest the kitchen.� We went home and I got down on the floor with a flashlight and wouldn't you know it;�8 missing pieces to this thing and NOT ONE OF THEM ANYWHERE! At that point, The Brit got on the phone and started demanding answers as opposed to lies.� Next confession was that the pieces were IN THE BASEMENT in a white bowl (please keep in mind, I am due to be at a friend's house by 7:30, want to get�a run in and it is now about 6:45).� Went down to basement, found bowl and three buttons and one of two batteries.� None of the other missing pieces.� The Brit got more stern with The Lying Genius, who then said the other pieces were on the floor near the covered litter box.� Went back downstairs, found the clip and one more button.� On a whim, I took the top of the litter box and found the other battery inside THE LITTER BOX.� Keep in mind, it was covered so the battery could not have FALLEN INTO THE BOX.� It had to be thrown inside the box.� One button is still missing today.� The real frustration is that had he just told the truth the first time, not nearly as much time would have been wrapped up in this.� I also doubt he ever "dropped" the remote because I drop my keys numerous times and the thing has never come apart.



The Brit told The Genius to enjoy his camping because he would be grounded when he comes home.� The only reason we didn't go to get him is that we had plans for the weekend and it would have upset the grandmother who is rather nervous anyway.� Probably the wrong thing to do, but we didn't want to punish ourselves either by having to cancel our plans and ruin the grandparent's weekend as well because of his behavior.



Then today we discovered that The Genius, instead of putting the lawn mower away, had chained it to the deck using his bike lock.� Brand new lawn mower, it is supposed to rain this weekend and the key is with The Genius.� I informed The Genius on the phone today that we would be cutting off his lock tonight and he could pay to replace his lock.



So what to do? Am I now stuck bringing him to work with me because of his behavior at home?� How long do we ground him for?� Why does every summer start out this way with him?�



I did get a mile and a half run in before going to my friend's house and it felt wonderful, probably because I was stressed.� Plan to do it again this afternoon too before showering and getting ready for fire pit.� I so need wine!



Happy weekend, kids.� I have three volunteers for guest blogging and would love two more!�




1 comment:

  1. Holy Cow! I just don't know how you do it sometimes. In my house The Genius would have been changed to a pipe in the basement by now. And this is perhaps one of the many reasons why I do not have children under my care. We can talk more at FPF...see ya tonight.

    ReplyDelete