Monday, June 28, 2010

Finding Fitness after 40: The Male Perspective


Tod and I have known each other a scary amount of time...in fact not even sure how long...maybe 13ish years?� Anyway, though for as long as I can remember, I had always wanted to give running a try, Tod was the one who inspired me when he took it up a few years ago.




Finding Fitness over 40 the male view!


Okay, first of all this should probably be fitness facing 50 but I am just a guest blogger, so here goes.�



Three years ago if you asked any of my friends and co-workers if I was overweight and out of shape the answer most likely would have been a solid no.� A few honest ones might admit I could use to lose a couple of pounds but overweight, no way.� Well they were wrong and I knew they were wrong but didn't have the motivation to change.



The motivation finally came in the form of a challenge.� A group of people at work had all been complaining about their weight so I proposed we do our own version of :"The Biggest Loser".� Each participant put $20 in a pot.� The person who lost the highest percentage of their goal weight won the money.� I found money and the challenge to be a great motivator and at the end of the contest had lost 102% of my goal weight, a total of 23 pounds.� I felt great.



I continued to walk and eat better for sometime but then came the winter.� I swear I was a bear in a previous life.� I store up fat for the winter and want to sleep until spring. And store up the fat I did.� I gained back 15 of the 23 pounds I lost over the winter.� Got the flu in February and lost 11 pounds. Then gained most of it back.� I was determined to lose it all again.� So that spring the healthy eating started again and the walking and it worked just like it is supposed to. Then it stopped working.� Well that really sucked..I was walking all over town, to the store, to work, to the outlets, everywhere but I had plateaued.



Plateaus are supposed to pleasant places.� A place to view all that surrounds you.� Beautiful vistas! They are not supposed to be a horrible place with no escape.� I decided that if walking wasn't going to do it, I'd try jogging a bit.� OMG Becky it just about killed me!� But I kept at it.� I set a running course and each time picked a new spot to get to before I would let myself walk.� Each time I got a little farther some days more so than others. I started this in May of that year and decided that by Labor Day I would be running the entire course. I missed it by one day. It was a great feeling. I continued to run into the fall cutting back to 3 days a week and maintaining my weight loss. But then lo and behold, 2 weeks before Thanksgiving my appendix ruptured.� Three days in the hospital, two weeks off work and 6 weeks with no physical activity. The good thing was that I reconnected with my Kimmie.� The bad thing it gave me a most excellent reason not to exercise.� It was winter and I once again gained weight but not horribly.



Spring arrived and I started running again and eating better again and the the weight came off again.

My arch nemesis arrived again in the form of cold weather and I was really bad.� The weight came back and I once again had to kick myself in the butt to get moving and eat better.


What can I say I'm cyclical. How long can I continue this pattern?� The answer is until I figure out how to break it, not until it breaks me.

The weight is back off and I'm maintaining.

I haven't been ill since my appendix episode.

I sleep better.

Life is good.

You are never to old to start. I started running at 46.


So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.�


Enjoy your Summer and get up and move!




1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I'd have been the one that would have said you were overweight. In fact, wasn't I? Or was I the one who said, "Maybe you should quit your complaining and do something about it?" I simply can't imagine I'd ever tell you that you were overweight. I'm more the type who would just poke you in your belly. Ask Ashlun...or Scotty, or even Kevin for that matter. Anyway, great guest blog darling! And no, I'm not just saying that in order to garner compliments for my own guest starring role later this week. Heck, it inspired me enough to hop on the gym!

    ReplyDelete